Trying to redact a second word from string (with great difficulty)

Hi. I am having issues with my redacting, I am rying to redact a 2nd word in my string , but its not working. Can anyone spot where I’m going wrong?
many thanks

puts "Enter some text: "
text = gets.chomp
text.capitalize!

puts "Enter word to redact: "
redact = gets.chomp
redact.capitalize!

puts "Enter 2nd word to redact: "
redact2 = gets.chomp
redact2.capitalize!

words = text.split(" ")
words.each { |word|
if word == redact; redact2
print "REDACTED "
else
print word + " "
end }

how is your comparison working on line 15? I haven’t done ruby in a while, but i would say you need the or operator

Hi, thanks for your swift reply. I have tried ‘or’ in line 15, but this results in all text being redacted (as below)

what are you comparing redact2 to? If you are not comparing it to anything, ruby will simply see if redact2 evaluates to true, which is the case if it is a string

I tried to give you a little nudge in the right direction, then check earlier lessons/documentation if you need a reminder on how to use the or operator

Hi
I’m brand new to all this, but managed to get it to work with an elsif. I’m still very unclear on operators, back to the books!
thanks/db

words = text.split(" ")
words.each { |word|
if word == redact
print "REDACTED "
elsif word == redact2
print "REDACTED "
else
print word + " "
end }

or would be better, you just need to comparison at both sides of the or operator.

Sorry, are you able to elaborate, i have tried about 20 diff options and am still unable to get it to work.
thanks/db

for example:

word = "hello world"

if word == "hello" or word == "world"

see? I compare at both sides of or operator, if i do not, the right hand side of the or expression will just check if the variable containing string is true

Rather than arbitrarily seek a fixed number of redacted terms, create an array of terms and write a method that takes that array as a parameter. Then it can be one, two, or more terms passed as a single object to the function.

def redacted(text, words)
  text = text.split(' ')
  words.each do |word|
    text.each do |term|
      if term == word
        text[text.find_index(term)] = "REDACTED"
      end
    end
  end
  text
end

print redacted("the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains", ['the', 'in'])
["REDACTED", "rain", "REDACTED", "Spain", "falls", "mainly", "REDACTED", "REDACTED", "plains"]
puts
puts redacted("the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains", ['the', 'in']).join(' ')
REDACTED rain REDACTED Spain falls mainly REDACTED REDACTED plains

Redact a list

We don’t have to use a function, but it is more re-usable. In a one-off situation, the code inside the function can be applied inline. For the two-word example above, simply write the two inputs to an array that can be used by the code. There is no need for || (boolean) or or (control flow) operations.

One should be mindful of the differences between or and ||. For our purposes at this stage of learning, the boolean is the one to reach for. The two are not synonymous.

Using “and” and “or” in Ruby

Thanks you both! I was really not getting that.
Thanks for the 2 levels of solution, I will def remember those going fwd in my endeavours
cheers/db

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.