Trying to Find my way

Well, I’m about to finish my computer science path in a day and I wonder now what should I do next. I mean I don’t think that I had enough skills and knowledge. I mean, yes I totally learnt python but I have still more things to learn and path has ended so fast. It feels like It was cut short. I was waiting to learn many things in order to help me in the purpose of being good software developer but I only learnt python. I don’t blame course and I got the purpose of the course and I learnt so many things but I feels like I have still more to learn and now I’m looking another courses. I’m considering to start full stack engineer as it seems like it has more things to teach and seems like more professional. Actually, I feel like full stack engineer career path may give me a real good start to be web developer but I wasn’t meant to be web developer. Well, it is also interesting but software developer was more attractive to me and i want to mention that I have a little experience on web development. But like I said before it feels like full stack engineer has lot for me to learn. So what is your advice ? Which course should I take now ? Should I roll in to full stack engineer course ?
Thank you advance for all help.

2 Likes

Hi,

If you’re interested in software development why not learn C++ or Java? Python is seen more as a scripting language… the data structure exercises they offer for python are something that really shine much more with c++ since it runs so much quicker.

And if you have a lot of time on your hands, I’d recommend haskell if you’re interested in functional programming :slight_smile:

@script6504643580 1 Problem, 6 Programming Languages (C++ vs Rust vs Haskell vs APL vs Clojure vs Scala) - YouTube (note i don’t like the silly ranking idea in the video but I think it highlights how differently fp handles data structure problems)

4 Likes

Well actually I started my coding career with c#. I mean I started with c# first but I was taking course in a Udemy courses and It was inefficient actually because you know just watching video. However, I really liked it actually but I noticed that I need to get better course, interactive one and I found code academy 1 year ago almost. I tried to learn C# actually from udemy and when I subscribed codeacademy I thought computer science was teaching C# but it wasn’t. First I also thought python was more like a script one after C# but I decided to move with codeacademy’s computer science career path. Moreover, Codecademy seems like doesn’t have detailed c# and c++ courses like python. Am I wrong ?

And, actually I didn’t know before codeacademy where to start exactly. That’s why I stick with the career path and dint learn c++ or c#.

2 Likes

Yea you’re not wrong about the offerings on c++. But there’s a lot of great free material out on the internet for it. If you got through the computer science path you have enough tools to make your own custom path… My theory on why they don’t offer it is because it’s not a “hot” language for the quick pickup. But I think if you want to do a more computer science heavy skill-set it’s a very reasonable language to know (or java).

Another idea is to look up job descriptions for positions you’d like to have and see what they ask for. Or if you’re not looking for a job, look at the type of software you really enjoy/want to make and find out with what it was made with.

2 Likes

I may consider start again with C# and I know there is more resources in codeacademy about c# than C++ or I may start full stack engineer career path or try another sources for learn C++ but I really liked codeacademy’s courses and I hope there were more resources about C++. What is your advice among three of these ? And thank you for your comments.

1 Like

I have the feeling c# is very niche, could be useful if you’re into gaming software.

Full-stack can be a complicated thing. The trend with ReactJS right now is strongly towards functional programming (that’s a very different paradigm from object-oriented)… and while legacy code will still have some imperative patterns I think if you want to be serious with React it’s good to be ready to take the plunge into functional. On the backend it would be smoother since picking up flask after having done the computer science path should be straight-forward.

My personal feeling is always you should look to either do something you have an affinity for, or something that complements your affinity. The only reason React interests me is in the ways it: 1. seeks to adapt functional programming principles, 2. helps my backend projects be smoother. No further. But of course, everyone is different! And for a lot of these things, it’s often been the case where I like doing it through CC when normally I wouldn’t or the opposite, I find I like it away from CC and don’t want to do it in the platform.

I strongly recommend Corey Schafer’s yt channel for flask/django if you want more resources on backend. As well as Miguel Grinberg’s flask webpage/channel/O’Reilley book.

2 Likes

Yes from computer science to full stack engineer would be really straightforward. Then now I have to decide between C# and C++. I’m also bit into gaming but I’m not sure if I want to be game developer. C++ seems more attractive if I may find a good resources. Here, actually my real problem is I don’t know where to start. Codeacademy was providing me a syllabus thus this was encouraging me and now I don’t know where to start actually.

I will definitely check these.

1 Like

I’m not really sure that I could help you choose what courses you want to take but maybe you can help me! I’m basically a beginner coder so I’m really wondering what coding language (python, JS, HTML, etc…) I should learn first.

Depends on what you want to do or be. I’m not a experienced one so I think you should open your own topic to get the comments of professionalsz

1 Like

Python is as good as any a place to start.

Reasons:

• clean syntax that gives you good habits for structuring your code
  • jargon free so that it reads very close to spoken language means you can think more about the concepts first (it makes for a very good transition into languages like c++ and javascript).
  • descriptive error messages from the compiler help you learn and debug faster
  • incredibly useful language that has a wide-variety of uses and is very well supported in documentation
  • large community of users that can aid you in your progress
  • it’s more of a “real” language than HTML/CSS. Those are easier to begin with, but they would not get you ready to face the difficulties of javascript.
  • as soon as you get a sense of what really interests you, it’s easy to branch-off from python, no need to be a python expert.

Disclaimer: i’m not a professional (I’m a comp-sci major currently) but I’ve programmed on/off for a long time. I learned java first, alongside javascript/html/css. I still think pedagogically python makes the most sense as a starter language.

3 Likes

This may (or may not) be helpful in seeing what languages and technologies people are using, what kind of work they do, and developer profiles:

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2020#most-popular-technologies

And, correlated technologies is interesting:
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2020#correlated-technologies

But, I agree with @toastedpitabread in that, do what you have an affinity for or something that complements it. I also think that whatever it is you learn, the time isn’t wasted b/c you’re learning something and who knows where it will lead you.

2 Likes

I think i will continue with C#. Gaming software developer is startthe ing to rise inside my mind and as i familiar with C#, learning C# may be more reasonable choice. However, I need to create my path in this purpose. However, i have some doubts about C#. I know C# only allows for windows based softwares and so i though the opportunities to find job in the future will be lower. Am i wrong or is C# valid choice ?

1 Like

Any another suggestion ?

1 Like

C# is fully cross-platform thanks to frameworks like .NET Core, Unity and Xamarin. If you want to develop games, C# with Unity is a great choice.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of your help! If I have any more questions I’ll ask you guys!

Just remembered, what type of Python is the best ? Python, Python 2 or Python 3?

Python 2 will be phased out this year (I think). It’s best to look at Python 3. I think the current version is 3.9(?)

1 Like

O.K, I’ll try to do Python 3 but I don’t have Codecademy Pro.

There’s also lots of other solid places where you can learn python3 for free!

2 Likes

Yes, I’m searching for other websites that I can use to learn python and other coding languages for free!