Try This In Area Calculator, Don't Know Why The Results Are Difference?

When I typed the code as area = (1/2)baseheight, why did the calculate area = 0.0000 and the program did not say anything about what I did wrong?

With a little bit of typo change from the above into area = 0.5 baseheight, why this one returned the correct area value and not the other?

I did try both way, just want to know what’s the difference because in normal math, 1/2 == 0.5 and people can use them to replace one another just fine, but in Python is difference. I also include to 1/2 and make it look like this (1/2) to tell the program that it has to calculate 1/2 as one set before it moves on to multiply (1/2) with base and height. If you confused what I am trying to say is I include () around 1/2 to tell the program so it know which order of operation come first.

freeform projects do not have any validation.

put this in your code:

print 1 / 2

you will see that the result is zero. In python2, a division that involves two integers (non-decimal numbers) will give an integer as result, if needs be, python will round down to the nearest integer

this has one advantage which i can think of from the top of my head:

the_list = ['a', 'b', 'c']
# print middle element from the list
print the_list[len(the_list)/2]

given the length (3) divided by 2 gives 1 (rounded down), this is possible. Would this give 1.5, the above code would give an error

but its not normal division behavior, so thankfully they fixed it in python3

In Python 2 we need one or both operands to be a float.

1. / 2       => 0.5

float(1) / 2 => 0.5