Trouble Setting Up Sqlite

I am having a ton of trouble with opening sqlite in gitbash from the instructions listed in the Data Scientist curriculum. I followed it exactly and it does not seem to work. Seems to be incorrect. And the video isn’t helpful since he uses command line. Also if it matters when my dad and I built my computer years ago, he decided it would be best to partition the memory if that matters.

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/analyze-data-sql-go-off-platform/modules/analyze-data-sql-learn-off-platform/articles/what-is-sqlite

Hey @ethanwright904369191, and welcome to the forum.

There’s a quickstart guide for SQLite on their documentation, which may help.

Otherwise, it’s not very helpful to us to simply say “sqlite isn’t working”. If you can explain how it’s not working, for instance by sharing what you’re entering into the console and what (if any) error you’re getting back, then we may be able to help.

So on step 2 of the following is where I am having issues.

Setting Up SQLite

Binaries for SQLite can be installed at the SQLite Download page.

Windows

For Windows machines:

1. Download the sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100.zip file and unzip it.
  2. From your git-bash terminal, open the directory of the unzipped folder with cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/ .
  3. Try running sqlite with the command winpty ./sqlite3.exe . If that command opens a sqlite> prompt, congratulations! You’ve installed SQLite.

It says not found in library. I know the sqlite has a newer version so I updated that, but it can’t seem to locate the file. Tried multiple combinations and moving the folder of the download. what does the cd~ part mean? And if my computer is partitioned will that effect this?

To run a program from a terminal, type the filepath to the executable file

This is like clicking on the file

the environment that comes bundled with git for windows is probably not where you want to do much of anything other than possibly run git, if even that. consider using wsl, msys2, or plain windows instead

1 Like

Hi, I just downloaded sqllite for Windows 64 today. In case it is helpful, I used this zip file:
https://www.sqlite.org/2021/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3360000.zip

1. Download the sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100.zip file and unzip it.
  2. From your git-bash terminal, open the directory of the unzipped folder with cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/ .
  3. Try running sqlite with the command winpty ./sqlite3.exe . If that command opens a sqlite> prompt, congratulations! You’ve installed SQLite.

What is a “git-bash terminal” though? This is a concept not introduced or explained in the course…

Odd that it’s not introduced beforehand, git-bash is a tool in Windows that runs a terminal with an emulated bash shell. You can look into it at-

If you hunt around the cc articles: https://www.codecademy.com/articles you should find one describing the install if you prefer.

For sqlite in particular though I think it’s worth considering running it with cmd or powershell rather than git-bash. Then you don’t have to use winpty to deal with sqlite and a non-windows console, you just use it natively which seems a bit easier to me.

1 Like

Up until this point in the course codecademy has been holding my hand and going step by step… but as soon as it got the page where I am to download and attach to databases it ASSUMES that I know SO many things, Git Bash, and directories, and how to speak to the terminal, and even when I’m following the steps in the video it is not doing the things it is doing for him. So frustrating. Why did you all decide to give up on the SQL course right at the point of application?

Example:
I am supposed to type “cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/.” into the terminal. that doesn’t work. Well, probably because I did what the man in this video told me to do, which was moving the file to my own folder OUT of downloads. So I use the directory there:
“cd ~C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Learning\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3380200”
that doesn’t work. So I drop the “C:\Users\Admin” and try it again, but the same issue. No such directory found. Why all this struggle?
And why are the dashes going the opposite direction now between the example they shared and the actual directory?
Completely in the dark here and it’s like they go from holding your hand to pushing you off into the deep end without help, except actually there is help, it just sends conflicting signals that don’t go with the actual instructions on the page…

Thank you! The part two of my question is here… I wonder if you know the solution?

Up until this point in the course codecademy has been holding my hand and going step by step… but as soon as it got the page where I am to download and attach to databases it ASSUMES that I know SO many things, Git Bash, and directories, and how to speak to the terminal, and even when I’m following the steps in the video it is not doing the things it is doing for him. So frustrating. Why did you all decide to give up on the SQL course right at the point of application?

Example:
I am supposed to type “cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/.” into the terminal. that doesn’t work. Well, probably because I did what the man in this video told me to do, which was moving the file to my own folder OUT of downloads. So I use the directory there:
“cd ~C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Learning\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3380200”
that doesn’t work. So I drop the “C:\Users\Admin” and try it again, but the same issue. No such directory found. Why all this struggle?
And why are the dashes going the opposite direction now between the example they shared and the actual directory?
Completely in the dark here and it’s like they go from holding your hand to pushing you off into the deep end without help, except actually there is help, it just sends conflicting signals that don’t go with the actual instructions on the page…

I’m not on the codecademy staff and I couldn’t comment on their behalf. If you’ve got suggestions for the course contents or their order there’s the Suggestions; Feature and Course Requests - Codecademy Forums section of the forums. Make sure to reference what course you’re on and what lesson/article was out of place (a URL is a good shout).

The reason for the flipped direction of file seaprators \ vs. / is mainly a unix/windows thing. Typical paths on the nix side use forward slashes, Windows in particular uses backslashes, it’s a pain that they don’t use the same.

If you’re having trouble navigating in the terminal one of the easiest options is using your regular GUI file explorer and you can can drag and drop file or directories to the terminal and it will fill out (paste) the path for you.

1 Like

thank you for the help! I’ll let them know.

1 Like