cost == 40 * days
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3 and days <= 7: 
        cost -= 20
    else:
        return cost

None 
Oops, try again. An error was raised for rental_car_cost(1): local variable 'cost' referenced before assignment

I have no idea what I am doing wrong, if someone could please help me to understand what is going wrong.  Help a pal out... Thanks.

this line:

cost == 40 * days

what is it suppose to do? (yes, i know what its suppose to do, but i would like to hear it from you)

It means the cost of the rental car is equal to how many days the car is rented multiplied by the cost of the car ($40).

but cost is not yet defined, so how can it equal something?

usually we use is equal inside conditions (like if and elif), but in your case its not a condition?

The purpose of your function is to calculate how much it would cost to rent the car for x days.This means you need to calculate the $40 * days, then apply discount, then return the total cost for renting a car

Okay, I think I get it. Thanks!

i edited my earlier answer

So it would make sense to multiply $40 * days, and then store this in a variable. Then we can see if we need to apply discount, then finally we can return cost

If you need more help, post an updated version of your code

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.