def rental_car_cost(days):
    cost = 40 * days
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3 or days < 7:
        cost -= 20
    else:
        return cost

it's not formatting my indentation, but i believe all of that is correct. i'm not getting any indentation errors. my error is "Oops, try again. It looks like rental_car_cost returns 20 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days."

i'm not sure where i've gone wrong.

edit: i changed "days <=7" to "days <7" because if i can't have both discounts, the cost can't =7 on both counts. i also added an "else:" argument at the end, followed by "return cost." i'm getting the same error as above except the amount is now "None" instead of "20."

edit #2: got the formatting correct.

edit #3: FINALLY. had to get creative and do some googling. i used the "in range" operator to lock that statement between 3 and 7. i'm not sure that ">=3 or <7" was getting it done. the below code finally works.

def rental_car_cost(days):
    cost = 40 * days
    if days >= 7:
        return cost - 50
    elif days in range(3, 7):
        return cost - 20
    else:
        return cost
print rental_car_cost(1)

Mine worked fine with the
elif days >= 3:
statement.

or days < 7: statement may not be necessary.
Try with different days when you print.

Also, else: statement is not needed here.
Simply use return cost.
You could also try "and" statment instead of "or"

thank you. i'll try without the else: but i read in another thread that, essentially, days 0, 1, and 2 are not accounted for.

and i initially tried "and" but it returned an error. however, i may have had some other error i wasn't aware of. i'll give it a try.

i'm still thinking something else more simple is wrong somewhere. the error i'm getting doesn't seem to point to either of those things. but as i said, i'll give it a try and see.

thank you for the feedback!

I meant check with different parameters when you print.

so i'm not actually printing anything. it wasn't listed in the steps or shown in the example, but could that be what i'm missing? i'm only using "return cost."

finally got it figured out. made an edit to my post. thank you, again, for your comments!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.