This is impossible

I tried for 2 days straight to create a by_three? method that takes a single integer parameter, number, and returns true if that number is evenly divisible by three and false if not. IT NEVER FREAKING WORKS

Dis is my code

def by_three?(number)
multiples = (1..1000)
multiples.each { |num1, num2, num3| return num3 }
if (number) = num3
return true
else (number) != num3
return false
end
end

by_three?(9)

Can you post your code so that we can try to help you please?

Is this good?
Well obviously it's not good because it doesn't work but can you tell me what's wrong with it?

def by_three?(number)
multiples = (1..1000)
multiples.each { |num1, num2, num3| return num3 }
if (number) = num3
return true
else (number) != num3
return false
end
end

by_three?(9)

Wow, there are several things you don't need here, and it's likely that you don't understand what you're asking to Ruby.

First, I would avoid using "?" for your method names, it can confuse you when you're going to use the ? operator on methods afterwards.

You don't need an array of mutliples to know if an integer is divisible by 3, you just need an if/else checking if the number modulo 3 equals 0 or not. If it does, it's divisible by 3. The operator for modulo is %.

Also, you don't need anything in front of the else, since else means "anything else" in the logical flow.

Finally, the = operator is not the same thing as the == operator. When you're checking a condtion like you're doing in your if statement, you need the == operator. The = operator is used to assign a value to something.

thanks for the advice
:smile:

hmm this is strange...
I changed my code to this:

def by_three(number)
if number % 3 == 0
return true
else
return false
end
end

by_three?(21)

but the monitor sends an error message like this:

undefined local variable or method `integer' for #

I don't know why this is happening, there is no 'integer' method or variable in any of my coding.
:confused:

Your code works in the lab. Try refreshing the page or deleting your browser's cache.

And try your code here:

http://labs.codecademy.com/

Thanks I'll try doing that (20 character minimum I couldn't just say ok)
:smile:

Thank you arjofocolovi
IT WORKED
my eternal frustration has finally come to pass
:joy:

That's great, good luck for the rest of the course.

i did mine like this and it works like a charm:
def by_three?(number)
by_three=false
if number%3 ==0
by_three=true
return by_three
end
end

I think you mean that your eternal frustration has passed. Having your eternal frustration come to pass means that you just got your eternal frustration