There are so many tags! How can I ever remember them all?

Question

There are so many tags! How can I ever remember them all?

Answer

There are quite a few tags but try not to get too overwhelmed here. While it is a good idea to skim through the list shared in this exercise, there is no need to try to memorize them all. The more web sites you make the more familiar you will become with the elements you have at your disposal.

It’s important to realize that certain tags are used more frequently than others and even seasoned web developers have to look tags up from time to time.

45 Likes

At one point the Mozilla docs are referenced on HTML. They say to include the <meta charset="utf-8"> in the header element, why did we not cover this element in the HTML intro? “this element sets the character set your document should use to UTF-8, which includes most characters from the vast majority of human written languages. Essentially it can now handle any textual content you might put on it. There is no reason not to set this, and it can help avoid some problems later on.” – from Mozilla

42 Likes

Good question, and one which I’ve been asking all along. For some unknown reason, the HTML course authors have neglected any discusssion of character set declaration, yet insist upon using type="text/css" and type="text/javascript" under the HTML5 doctype when they are moot.

I’m assumng that they don’t wish to get bogged down in the technical discussion around important metadata. A good example of why this is avoided can be deduced from the difficulty many learners have with understanding the <title> element. Learners will only spend so many hours on a course, and it would appear more expediant to skip over some of the details, deferring to the user to pick up on them at some later time.

Eventually the FAQ will likely cover questions of accessibility and important metadata, and I can confess to harping about these developer concerns in Q&A replies over the years. Once a learner reads of the need for certain elements, they cannot unread that information, only choose to use it, or ignore it.

92 Likes

HTML and the CSS precursors are still in use around the world, where technology has not “caught up”. While the course seems to be attempting to use HTML5 and CSS3 because they are the foundational programs new devs will use for their own work, they will in all likelihood run into programming used only by deprecated levels of each. Depending on the program(er) whose code they will read, maintain, and/or normalize, they will most likely run into this code.

As a developer, I keep references near at hand for such older code. Learning to research is a fundamental of good development. But this is a beginning course for new developers. I think we should remember that, and keep to the present course instruction to avoid unnecessary (or even necessary) confusion at this point. Learning is a never ending, constant process in our profession. It is learning to learn, how to think, and how to pro-actively (and prophylactically) code for others to read that we all must develop as a second sense.

51 Likes

When I went and looked at the list of codes, I almost wanted to pass out! Made me realize that I still have sooooo much more to do and to learn. Thank you for the encouragement!

25 Likes

i thought the same thing!!!

5 Likes

For real. They should add this in the course to avoid confusion later on when people’s websites doesn’t work.

5 Likes

HTML elements reference

MDN is the go-to reference as they are so closely affiliated with W3C. Links from their pages usually go straight to the source, w3.org.

8 Likes

can you clarify what did u just mentionned here, please.
i just started this course, and i absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.
if you could give us more details about this thing.
if it’s that important so we really need to know about it, and why did codecademy just skipped it.

thanks a lot.

Roy nicely replied here:

Have a read here about it:

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing and helping us understand things better. Super Helpful and it does not go unnoticed!

8 Likes

I would say to go through the course before you worry too much about what you might not be understanding or may be missing. Going through it will cover things and fill in the holes you have now, and even strike you with some stuff that you’ll be able to use to put 2 and 2 together in the long run. Don’t worry too much about understanding everything as you go through it. I felt the same way and was put at ease when I got through the course and realized that some of it is just stuff you’ll figure out based on learning the rest of it.

3 Likes

This is very important information and a great point. You’ve brought up. Maybe they omitted from including this in the intro to HTML lessons in hopes that generous members like yourself take the piton and share knowledge with the world on their behalf, or forum platform as you’ve just did. lol.

Knowledge is to be shared, never hoarded. Thanks for the piton rockstar!

• Mega.exe (GEMDE)

THANK YOU for pointing this out!!

Can you please give me an example of where I would put this in my coding exactly?? Does it go with or above ??

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello,

Your skeleton HTML should look something like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
	<meta charset="utf-8">
	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
	<title></title>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>
4 Likes

Having the HTML Cheatsheet at hand to reference and revise can be helpful if you want to remember all the tags

This is VS Code suggestion to the start of a html5 page:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
    <title>Document</title>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>
1 Like