The struggle is real!

Okay guys, I am new here and new to all of this. That said I am having a difficult time with the big picture. I feel like I am getting a little overwhelmed and I JUST STARTED! I just finished my free trial and have purchased the PRO version and now I am nervous about being able to do it!

I have an amazing wife that has supported my many attempts of pursuing a career into coding. I have wanted to coding for a very long time but didn’t know how to start and where. Life has always hit and so I was always pulled in different directions to be able to put food on the table for my family. Now that I have started this I’m worried I won’t be able to do it or I won’t be smart enough. I want to do this so bad and it was SO exciting in the beginning.

Has anyone ever faced this and been able to push through it? Is it possible for someone who has very LITTLE knowledge of computers to do this (I have a passion for them though)? Please feel free to comment! All help would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Hey there @ruby9456084277!! Welcome to the forums :grinning:

Yes sir, by all means it is possible.
If you have a passion for it, as you say you so, than you can certainly do it.

Everyone hits their own roadblocks when they first start. Not many people start and grasp everything the instant they hear it.

Don’t rush yourself when you are learning, take your time, make sure you understand a concept before moving on to the next one.

The only people I have seen that can’t learn to code, are those who don’t really want to. As long as you are willing to learn, to push through tough concepts, and to learn from mistakes and keep going, than you are able to.

Don’t lose hope, take your time, practice, and don’t be afraid to ask questions, do a quick a web search, or check the documentation.

5 Likes

You can totally do it. Just set realistic expectations. If you have family obligations, you shouldn’t be betting all your chips on a guaranteed programming job in under year.

Trust in your passion and the fact that it’s very doable, and keep focused on the “little” important gains: strong foundational knowledge. Part of that journey will also be gaining knowledge of how to carry yourself when you don’t know anything (which can be a common occurrence when learning programming).

Trust that your brain has a strong capacity to digest concepts passively over time (as long as you put in the work), so unsolvable concepts one day become as clear as daylight the next sometimes. The key is time and space though, you need to give yourself the time and space to properly digest the material.

And keep your ears to the ground. Try to get to know people who work in the field to give you advice.

6 Likes

Thank you. That is much appreciated. I want to do this SO bad I have just always been worried about not knowing enough. Both my brother in laws are trying to get me into it and they have been doing it for a while and are extremely smart so I always look up to them. I know they want to help and so that’s also good!

3 Likes

Thank you. I am hoping for a career path to open up in 1.5-2 years. I know I have my brother in laws that are both in this field and very successful and I know they want to help and give me tips. I know it will take time its just freaking scary!

3 Likes

You got this.

Just don’t let anyone bring you down. For every 4 positive people you might get one negative one that gets under your skin but you can’t let that outweigh your passion and what you can bring to the table over time.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s great that you have taken the initiative to be here. Don’t expect to learn everything at once. Even someone with experience can get stuck or overwhelmed and it will happen. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. You can do this! :+1:

Here’s some tips: Dealing with Frustration while Learning to Code

5 Likes

And don’t forget that there are many places to get help if you’re stuck with something-this forum, Stack Overflow and Google.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for mentioning my topic, @coffeencake, it means a lot to me :blush:

And just like @8-bit-gaming said, if you really want to do it, then don’t worry: you’ll make it. You just have to persevere.

Best of luck! :relaxed:

2 Likes

I just want to thank you guys for all the help and the confidence boost! And thank you @coffeencake for the suggestion on the article. It was really good!

2 Likes

@ruby9456084277 I was totally New to Programming and believe me now I’m getting some hang of Data Analysis. Because of my Parents Support, I’m still able to continue. Believe in Yourself @ruby9456084277 and just Smash that Barrierrrrrr :fire::smile::raised_hands:

4 Likes