The Social Dilemma (2020)

Hi everyone,

Watched this movie already?

For those who are more advanced to what technology is concerned… is the panorama as bad as depicted in this movie? Are we sort of reaching social apocalypse because of the way in which social media is hurting “the fabric of society”? I am truly curious about what experienced tech people think about this. Can we become part of the solution by learning to develop applications that, above everything else, stand out as ethical… or is this idea plainly utopic?

Cheers!

1 Like

Ask Jack or Zuck. :rofl:
j/k

I hadn’t heard about this until I saw a trailer online. I’m curious about it & might watch it.
I will say that hello, data is everywhere and of course the companies are going to collect it to learn more about users (it’s naive to think that they won’t/don’t). Does it make it right? (See the Cambridge Analytics -FB data breach for reference).
Everything is monetized. I guess the question is…can a company be profitable AND ethical?
All those cookies agreements that you click “OK” to when you visit a site…what happens with that?
You have Siri enabled on your phone or have an Alexa? Gee, why are there ads targeted on your social media account specifically for you?

It’s creepy.

1 Like

Well, I bet that’s the whole point of the whole question.

I mean, yeah, data is everywhere, and that’s something that we all already know, but — what I truly mean is —, is it as terrible as depicted in the movie? Because the film speaks about it in terms of social extinction, social apocalypse, and so on. It’s freakin’ scary, to say the least.

And now, beyond that, how do we get rid of social media? How, for example, can a small business — here’s my marketer side speaking — promote itself nowadays if not using social media and similar channels — such as paid positioning in Google (aka SEM campaigning)?

Anyway, have a look at the movie; I quite liked it :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I’m in data analytics & data science…So, I get it. :woman_technologist:t2:
Small biz needs social media to promote itself for sure. Does it stink that they have to pay for positioning in Google? (yea, I think so).

I’d have to see the movie to comment more on it—especially the part about Google’s predictive text when searching. One can definitely see how one can get into a bubble of fake news.

Does it mean social extinction or apocalypse? I don’t know. As far as dissemination of news in some ways (most?) I think social media hurts it. It all goes back to Chomsky and The Manufacture of Consent. Eons ago when I was in high school there were 26 corporations that owned all media. Now, it’s like what? 3? 4? That’s a concerning (to say the least) problem just as it was when it was 26. It’s something that ppl need to be aware of and they need to be critical thinkers when it comes to filtering news and information.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the whole point of the movie — or one of the main ones at least —; I think you’ll enjoy it very much.

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile: