The Nile Project, mistake in time calculation? (step 12)

Hi, I am currently working on the Nile Project in the learn Python 3 course: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/projects/function-args-the-nile

Is it just me, or is there a significant mistake in step 12, where we are supposed to find the time taken? Surely the time taken is distance / speed, and not distance * speed. I might have missed something, and please update me if I have.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 Like

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.
Yeah. The faster you go, the longer it takes. Obviously.
This is why the nile drivers are so good, their salary scales quadratically(more?) with their speed so they have all the motivation to become better. Some of them utilize multiple jet engines on their rafts, others go by helicopter.

You’d think it would get caught when they wrote the test cases, some of which look like they’re supposed to test “yeah, this guy is cheaper, but also slower, so this more expensive fast one is overall cheaper” and then it’s the opposite of that … sigh.

Yup hahaha, your explanation makes perfect sense, that’s why the company saves so much money: they tell their drivers to just keep going slower! Yeah the code aspect of it is exactly the same, but it just bothered me when I saw it initially. Oh well, at least I’m not going crazy!

I really had to recalculate it multiple times on my sheet thinking I was missing something. Indeed, time taken = Distance / Speed.
CodeCademy please correct this and the exercise will make more sense :slight_smile: