The Man behind the Bit Mask

Hello everyone. I am stuck at this exercise. I do not understand this whole introduction to bitwise concept

I have tried the possible answers but it keeps giving a " Your code looks a bit off (pun super intended)–it threw a “unsupported operand type(s) for &: ‘unicode’ and ‘int’” error. Check the Hint if you need help! "

def check_bit4(input1):
    mask = 0b1000 
    desired = input1 & mask
    if desired >= 0:
        return "on"
    else:
        return "off"
num = raw_input("pleas enter a number")
print num
print check_bit4(num) 
def check_bit4(input1): mask = 0b1000 desired = input1 & mask if desired >= 0: return "on" else: return "off" num = raw_input("pleas enter a number") print num print check_bit4(num)

In binary, >= 0 covers all the possibilities. This will always be true.

if bin(input1) & mask:
    return 'on'

The following uses a Python ternary expression to write everything into one return statement:

>>> def check_bit4(a):
	return 'on' if a & 0b1000 else 'off'

>>> check_bit4(13)
'on'
>>> check_bit4(0b10101)
'off'
>>> 

Oh… Thank you. I get it now. Thanks a lot for your help

Note to anyone struggling with int(s) error. The exercise states to use “input” as an argument to the check_bit4 function, but this is a special operator and cannot be used. Rename your argument anything else and it will work.

This would be a problem…

input = raw_input('...')

since it would overwrite the input function in the global namespace.

This however, will not be a problem,

def check_bit4(input):

since it is a locally defined variable that has no conflicts with the global namespace.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.