The Boots Bootique - Java Spring Course - UI not loading and API not responding

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-spring/projects/spring-data-jpa-the-boots-bootique
Windows 11
Google Chrome Version 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I made it to checkpoint 6: List All the Boots

Port 4001 keeps refusing the connection and the website UI disappears after a minute. There is also no table appearing in the UI.

I checked my code for compilation errors:
I compiled my code by CDing to the project folder and using mvn compile to check if I had errors. I initially did, but the problem persists even now that I get Build Successful from maven.

I checked the endpoint using curl in the browser bash terminal and I keep getting connection refused:

$ curl http://localhost:4001/api/v1/boots/
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 4001: Connection refused

I recreated the project in IntelliJ IDEA and when I run my Spring Boot Server and curl the same endpoint I get the correct output:

[{"id":1,"type":"CHELSEA","size":10.5,"quantity":6,"material":"leather"},{"id":2,"type":"GOGO","siz
                    e":6.5,"quantity":6,"material":"rubber"},{"id":3,"type":"GOGO","size":7.5,"quantity":16,"material":
                    "r...

You can see the blank UI, the failed curl command, and the tail end of the maven build success message.

EDIT 1:

Now the UI is loading but accessing the endpoint is responding with a long SQLGrammerException. See pic attached

Here is the full text of the exception:

$ curl http://localhost:4001/api/v1/boots/
{"timestamp":"2021-09-26T23:40:46.463+00:00","status":500,"error":"Internal Server Error","trace":"org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessResourceUsageException: could not prepare statement; SQL [select boot0_.id as id1_0_, boot0_.material as material2_0_, boot0_.quantity as quantity3_0_, boot0_.size as size4_0_, boot0_.type as type5_0_ from boots boot0_]; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not prepare statement\n\tat org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaDialect.convertHibernateAccessException(HibernateJpaDialect.java:259)\n\tat org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaDialect.translateExceptionIfPossible(HibernateJpaDialect.java:233)\n\tat org.springframework.orm.jpa.AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.translateExceptionIfPossible(AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.java:551)\n\tat org.springframework.dao.support.ChainedPersistenceExceptionTranslator.translateExceptionIfPossible(ChainedPersistenceExceptionTranslator.java:61)\n\tat org.springframework.dao.support.DataAccessUtils.translateIfNecessary(DataAccessUtils.java:242)\n\tat org.springframework.dao.support.PersistenceExceptionTranslationInterceptor.invoke(PersistenceExceptionTranslationInterceptor.java:152)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.data.jpa.repository.support.CrudMethodMetadataPostProcessor$CrudMethodMetadataPopulatingMethodInterceptor.invoke(CrudMethodMetadataPostProcessor.java:174)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:97)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:215)\n\tat com.sun.proxy.$Proxy95.findAll(Unknown Source)\n\tat com.codecademy.boots.controllers.BootController.getAllBoots(BootController.java:42)\n\tat java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)\n\tat org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.doInvoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:197)\n\tat org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:141)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:106)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:894)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:808)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:87)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:1060)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:962)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:1006)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:898)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:626)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:883)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:733)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:227)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:162)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:189)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:162)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.RequestContextFilter.doFilterInternal(RequestContextFilter.java:100)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:119)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:189)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:162)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.FormContentFilter.doFilterInternal(FormContentFilter.java:93)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:119)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:189)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:162)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:201)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:119)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:189)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:162)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:202)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:97)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:542)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:143)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:78)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:357)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:374)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:893)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1707)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)\n\tat java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)\n\tat java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)\n\tat java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)\nCaused by: org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not prepare statement\n\tat org.hibernate.exception.internal.SQLExceptionTypeDelegate.convert(SQLExceptionTypeDelegate.java:63)\n\tat org.hibernate.exception.internal.StandardSQLExceptionConverter.convert(StandardSQLExceptionConverter.java:42)\n\tat org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper.convert(SqlExceptionHelper.java:113)\n\tat org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl$StatementPreparationTemplate.prepareStatement(StatementPreparerImpl.java:186)\n\tat org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl.prepareQueryStatement(StatementPreparerImpl.java:151)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.prepareQueryStatement(Loader.java:2103)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.executeQueryStatement(Loader.java:2040)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.executeQueryStatement(Loader.java:2018)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:948)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:349)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2849)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2831)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2663)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2658)\n\tat org.hibernate.loader.hql.QueryLoader.list(QueryLoader.java:506)\n\tat org.hibernate.hql.internal.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.list(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:400)\n\tat org.hibernate.engine.query.spi.HQLQueryPlan.performList(HQLQueryPlan.java:219)\n\tat org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.list(SessionImpl.java:1414)\n\tat org.hibernate.query.internal.AbstractProducedQuery.doList(AbstractProducedQuery.java:1625)\n\tat org.hibernate.query.internal.AbstractProducedQuery.list(AbstractProducedQuery.java:1593)\n\tat org.hibernate.query.Query.getResultList(Query.java:165)\n\tat org.hibernate.query.criteria.internal.compile.CriteriaQueryTypeQueryAdapter.getResultList(CriteriaQueryTypeQueryAdapter.java:76)\n\tat org.springframework.data.jpa.repository.support.SimpleJpaRepository.findAll(SimpleJpaRepository.java:356)\n\tat java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.RepositoryMethodInvoker$RepositoryFragmentMethodInvoker.lambda$new$0(RepositoryMethodInvoker.java:289)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.RepositoryMethodInvoker.doInvoke(RepositoryMethodInvoker.java:137)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.RepositoryMethodInvoker.invoke(RepositoryMethodInvoker.java:121)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.RepositoryComposition$RepositoryFragments.invoke(RepositoryComposition.java:524)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.RepositoryComposition.invoke(RepositoryComposition.java:285)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.RepositoryFactorySupport$ImplementationMethodExecutionInterceptor.invoke(RepositoryFactorySupport.java:531)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.QueryExecutorMethodInterceptor.doInvoke(QueryExecutorMethodInterceptor.java:156)\n\tat org.springframework.data.repository.core.support.QueryExecutorMethodInterceptor.invoke(QueryExecutorMethodInterceptor.java:131)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.data.projection.DefaultMethodInvokingMethodInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMethodInvokingMethodInterceptor.java:80)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor$1.proceedWithInvocation(TransactionInterceptor.java:123)\n\tat org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.invokeWithinTransaction(TransactionAspectSupport.java:388)\n\tat org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:119)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)\n\tat org.springframework.dao.support.PersistenceExceptionTranslationInterceptor.invoke(PersistenceExceptionTranslationInterceptor.java:137)\n\t... 58 more\nCaused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLSyntaxErrorException: Table \"BOOTS\" not found; SQL statement:\nselect boot0_.id as id1_0_, boot0_.material as material2_0_, boot0_.quantity as quantity3_0_, boot0_.size as size4_0_, boot0_.type as type5_0_ from boots boot0_ [42102-200]\n\tat org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:453)\n\tat org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:429)\n\tat org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:205)\n\tat org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:181)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.readTableOrView(Parser.java:7628)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.readTableFilter(Parser.java:1970)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parseSelectFromPart(Parser.java:2827)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parseSelect(Parser.java:2959)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parseQuerySub(Parser.java:2817)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parseSelectUnion(Parser.java:2649)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parseQuery(Parser.java:2620)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parsePrepared(Parser.java:868)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parse(Parser.java:843)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.parse(Parser.java:815)\n\tat org.h2.command.Parser.prepareCommand(Parser.java:738)\n\tat org.h2.engine.Session.prepareLocal(Session.java:657)\n\tat org.h2.engine.Session.prepareCommand(Session.java:595)\n\tat org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.prepareCommand(JdbcConnection.java:1235)\n\tat org.h2.jdbc.JdbcPreparedStatement.<init>(JdbcPreparedStatement.java:76)\n\tat org.h2.jdbc.JdbcConnection.prepareStatement(JdbcConnection.java:352)\n\tat com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.ProxyConnection.prepareStatement(ProxyConnection.java:337)\n\tat com.zaxxer.hikari.pool.HikariProxyConnection.prepareStatement(HikariProxyConnection.java)\n\tat org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl$5.doPrepare(StatementPreparerImpl.java:149)\n\tat org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl$StatementPreparationTemplate.prepareStatement(StatementPreparerImpl.java:176)\n\t... 98 more\n","message":"could not prepare statement; SQL [select boot0_.id as id1_0_, boot0_.material as material2_0_, boot0_.quantity as quantity3_0_, boot0_.size as size4_0_, boot0_.type as type5_0_ from boots boot0_]; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not prepar

I think the relevant part has to do with the BOOTS table not being found.

Caused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLSyntaxErrorException: Table \"BOOTS\" not found; SQL statement:
select boot0_.id as id1_0_, boot0_.material as material2_0_, boot0_.quantity as quantity3_0_, boot0_.size as size4_0_, boot0_.type as type5_0_ from boots boot0_ [42102-200]
at org.h2.message.DbException.getJdbcSQLException(DbException.java:453)...

EDIT 2:

Okay, so the Boots table does exist in local testing.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. What did you do to get the ui working again?

I think there’s a problem with the underlying platform the lesson is using to run the code. I spoke to the team and last I heard they identified the issue, but I don’t know if it is fixed yet or if it is close to being fixed. The good news is that this means we weren’t just too stupid to solve it :laughing:

4 Likes

Why is this not fixed yet? Who do we contact?

I’m having the same problem with the Travel Adventures API project

I’m having the same issue. The UI blanks out and curl refuses to connect to the the endpoint. Undoing the changes I made to the code doesn’t fix it. When will it get fixed?

I am having this same issue. The UI just stopped loading but my code is the same as in the video walkthrough.

I’m having the same issue.

Also having this same issue.

I’m told that the problem is still in their queue of things to fix. I’m not sure why it hasn’t been addressed yet.

Also, if you use the report bug feature that is directly in the lessons/projects, that apparently goes directly to the content developers. So feel free to report it there. If enough of us do so, it may get fixed more quickly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say…

1 Like

How did you get to this? From the Codecademy platform?

Hi all! Codecademy staff here.

We’ve investigated this “connection refused” issue and found a solution that will get you unstuck:

1. Make sure your code compiles successfully. You should see “BUILD SUCCESS” in the output terminal.
  2. If you’re still getting “connection refused”, run pkill ein in the interactive terminal.
  3. Your Spring server will reset and your browser will disconnect and reconnect to Codecademy.
  4. It should work!

Two important side notes:

1. Make sure you have clicked “Run” at least once before running pkill ein. This will save the recent changes to your code.
  2. This “connection refused” error is not a problem with your code, although you do need to have “BUILD SUCCESS” before running pkill ein.