The Big If... Really?

Hi folks,

I started the Big If, tried some things, and it seemed like I didn't get what I had to do at all. What is the deal here? What am I trying to achieve?

I think someone needs to edit this assignment to have the explanation better reflect the goal at hand here. I have no idea what I am supposed to do here and what the goal of my code is, and the sudden freedom and creativity expected is so radically different from any other assignment so far.

So my question is this: What am I trying to do here? I really don't know what to do here.

The only thing the SCT is expecting is a True outcome. Any conditional statement will do. It can be senseless, even, so long as it returns True.

Eg.

if 'red' == 'blue' || 'red':
        return True
    elif 'blue' == 'red' || 'blue':
        return True
    else:
        return True

Can you guess which branch is being followed?

I'm guessing the first one, since it's saying if red is blue or red, then return True. Is that correct?

Return true why? (Expecting some characters here....)

# Make sure that the_flying_circus() returns True
def the_flying_circus():
    if 1 and 2 == 3:
        return True# Start coding here!
        # Don't forget to indent
        # the code inside this block!
    elif 1 and 2 != 3:
        return not False
        # Keep going here.
        # You'll want to add the else statement, too!

else:
        print yes

This exercise is to see if you understand the concepts presented so far.

@djm001 Please format your post as I have done (select entire code block; press Ctrl+Shift+C) from next time. Thanks! :smile:

I think it will return true because that code would return true regardless of it being red or blue, and for all options it will return true. But this is why I don't really get this assignment, because it seems such a weird thing to make an assignment that returns true regardless of what is happening. Maybe it's me, maybe it's just me not thinking like a programmer yet.

Cannot honestly say why the lesson is what it is, but you may be onto something, in that the author just wants us to be able construct a conditional that can be seeded to return true all the time, as an exercise. Once we see Jane run, we know who she is, and what she is doing.

I feel the same, and in other languages are the same here: good start, but and when the lessons goes to "if - else", they just makes no sense, and instead of explaining, it just piles more nonsense lessons.
Whats is "def"? Why make me create a true statement, instead of completing one? I can use "1 == 1" in all cases, what's makes me good at?

Short for, define function.

Thanks. I enjoy the lessons, but the pace when it comes for conditionals is wrong (it happens in the javascript course too) - the course starts very comfortable, bit by bit, like a roller coaster that is climbing very slowly, then it just rushes down.
By the high number of posts in support forum (in the arquive too) about it, it looks its a general feeling.