Thank you Codecademy!

Hi guys,

I’m writing today to thank the team at Codecademy and the many people that donated subscriptions to PRO during this pandemic. I was fortunate enough to get one of these PRO subscriptions and it has opened my life to so many opportunities I can’t thank this community and company enough.

About 3.5 months ago, I began my web development course path when I found out I was laid off from my Sales career in San Francisco. I really enjoyed solving all the course work and eventually, it came to a point where I could converse with my peers about coding. This led to a minor mentorship with a close friend who is a senior web developer. Next, were ideation meetings and through this whole process, I was able to find something I was passionate about; technology, entrepreneurship, and food.

I’m happy to say that today, we started our marketing campaign on Instagram, got users to the website, and successfully transacted orders. This is a great feeling, a small win. I know this path isn’t guaranteed but I know I have more tools in my belt to proceed forward.

Best,
Bryan Rhee

18 Likes

That’s amazing Bryan, well done! Keep going at it :slight_smile:

Myself, I am also looking for a small win, after a loads of road ends in the past. I realy love the way CodeCademy explains everything so clearly and I think the pro plan is a great addition.

Good luck with your new passion! If you have any tips on how to reach a goal, I hope you’ll share :wink:

5 Likes

Hi Lisa,

I’ve been in your position in the past a lot. These past 4 months were not my first attempt at coding. I’ve tried to learn this for the past 10 years, but it always fell off because of a job, social life, or any other excuse I could come up with. Since the pandemic hit, all those things went away and I knew it was time to sit down and figure this out.

My main goal with codecademy was to complete the coursework at minimum of 2% a day. This is where I started to understand what I liked and disliked when it came to learning and coding. I noticed that time would fly by when I couldn’t figure out a problem and I would do endless hours of research, try this and try that, all of a sudden I completed 8% of the coursework. The opposite of that were the grueling hours spent to reach the endless goal of 2%. This initial small goal helped me realize what aspect of coding I liked.

It is especially helpful to have a mentor and close friend to guide me through the process as well. He had fun exercises for ideation meetings, taught me how to google, and developed a new mindset when it came to looking at problems.

So I guess my tips would be to develop some grit because it will show you what you like and dislike. Also, to network and find someone to help you through the tough times.

If I could help, I’d love to give back to this community and help in some way or form.

6 Likes

Maybe down the road I’ll take you up on that offer!

I love how you set up you daily goals, I am definitively going to look into that, making a similar statement. Sounds like a great way to help you get through the hard parts.

Totally agree on what your suggesting on finding someone to help you! My boyfriend happens to be a fullstack developer, he helps me explain the parts where I feel like I’m lost in the woods a lot! I would recommend any one to find someone either here in codecademy or out in your day to day groups to help!

Thanks again Bryan!

2 Likes

Go for the dream follow your passions, that is what life should be about. Congratulations!

1 Like

Well done! That is amazing

This is really cool and exactly the type of post I was planning to create at some point. I always struggled with taking that first step into coding and the people at Codecademy were thankfully generous enough to let me in with a PRO membership due to COVID aswell.

I’m at the end of my third week here and I can’t believe the amount of progress I made with Python. I have no idea how this newly-acquired skillset will affect my career in the days to come, since I don’t have a CS-related background to begin with, but learning a programming language has really changed how I look at things dramatically.

Congrats on what you achieved Bryan, and I’m sure that was just the beginning of many other you’ll hit in the future. Thought I’d share a summary of my journey here so far, and how thankful I am to Codecademy team for giving me the opportunity to improve myself!

1 Like