Text editor + Windows or Mac for web development?

Hi,
I'm new at Codecademy. I have just finished the "Learn HTML" section, and I'm starting "Learn CSS" section.
I would like to start experimenting my fresh knowledges on a text editor.
Do you know some very good text editors to download for a beginner like me. I use Windows 8.
Also, is it better to work with Mac if I want to become a web developer and get a job in the future ?

Thank you very much for your help.
David

atom is good, which exist for all major platforms (linux, mac and windows)

web development is a lot of Linux, so yes, you could use macOS to get familiar with unix based operating systems.

Some people will say Windows will do for coding, this opinions are divided. On server side, Linux is bigger then windows

Thank you for your help Stetim. I think I have to invest in a new laptop with Mac, as I want more chance to get a job in the (more or less distant) future.

You can also get some very good unix type shells for Windows that can simulate much of the terminal commands that @stetim94 may be referring to. You're not putting yourself behind by using Windows at all.

Atom is great and free so yeah, that's a good editor to use.

Aside: I personally only use Mac because I'm a Mac guy, though when it comes to learning any machine with a browser will do. You could even use a Raspberry PI if you want a fun, affordable Linux machine to experiment with.

Ok thank you for your advices Chrinkus. So windows for learning is fine. But still thinking about Mac :slight_smile:
As I know windows, I need to be familiar with Mac too. I will search for an affordable laptop which can do web development.
Your help guys is great for me.

Why? I would just go for Linux, its free. Given many servers in web development run Linux, being familiar with Linux gives you more of advantage then using a mac

@chrinkus, or just install linux as dual boot/virtual machine? No need to buy anything. Raspberry pi's are cool, you can do some cool things with them, given the gpio pins :slight_smile:

Hi,
Thank you very much, I follow your recommandation. I have found a website to dual boot Ubuntu Linux on Windows 8 &10. It gives you a guide step by step :

What do you think ?
David

Hello Stetim,
Your help is so valuable, thank you.
David

Message du 23/07/17 11:25
Copie à :

stetim94 Codecademy Moderator

July 23

Why? I would just go for Linux, its free. Given many servers in web development run Linux, being familiar with Linux gives you more of advantage then using a mac
@chrinkus, or just install linux as dual boot/virtual machine? No need to buy anything. Raspberry pi's are cool, you can do some cool things with them, given the gpio pins

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

taz73

July 22

Ok thank you for your advices Chrinkus. So windows for learning is fine. But still thinking about Mac :slight_smile: As I know windows, I need to be familiar with Mac too. I will search for an affordable laptop which can do web development. Your help guys is great for me.

i would go for the dual boot:

but ensure you make a back-up, a mistake is easily made during dual boot installation

I am personally a huge fan of Linux, in particular for web development programming. Linux gives you the control needed to configure webservers

In linux, everything is a file, so each program has its own configuration file, you can manipulate it to make things work the way you want.

given the configuration are a file, a backup is simple to make (just copy the file and give it a .old or .back extension)

Ok. I have never done a backup yet. So is it a copy of windows on an external hard drive ?
Sorry if my question looks a bit stupid, but I'm not sure about what is a backup...

Also, I don't want to switch completely for Ubuntu Linux. I still want to use windows

You can always re-install windows, make a backup of your files (Documents, Music, Videos), anything you don't want to lose.

If something goes wrong (small change, but still), at least you still have all your files

If you don't feel comfortable, go with the virtual box approach:

Actually, if you have the latest version of windows 10, don't. Go to the windows app thing, ubuntu is now released for windows 10, so you can just download it from the app store

I have windows 8.1. I have received a notification from Microsoft that a free migration to windows 10 should be done soon. But I don't know when

windows8.1 will still be supported for years,so a switch isn't mandetory

But windows is trying to push everyone to windows 10, having one OS which everyone uses is easier and cheaper for Microsoft.

Then you have to install Linux in a virtualbox, still a good option.

Yes, and cheaper for me too :rofl:
Thanks a lot you Stetim

Linux cost time, but in my opinion time well invested

You're welcome :slight_smile: Hope you can figure it out, switch from windows to Linux/mac is a bit of a leap.

I definitly agree with you, that's a good invest :sweat_smile:

I'm away from keyboard. I'll see you later
Thank you for everything