Team Stats project step 7

Hi,

For step 7, to add a .addPlayer() method to the team object, I thought this would work but it gave me a syntax error. Can someone please explain why? Thank you

Here’s the link to the project:
https://www.codecademy.com/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path/tracks/fscp-22-javascript-syntax-part-ii/modules/wdcp-22-learn-javascript-syntax-objects/projects/team-stats

Edit: I watched the walkthrough video but I don’t understand why ‘this’ keyword is not used in this situation. Aren’t we supposed to use ‘this’ to reference to calling object (team) here?

Below is my code:

const team = { _players: [ { firstName: "Pete", lastName: "Wheeler", age: 54 }, { fistName: "Thomas", lastName: "Williams", age: 36 }, { firstName: "Ryan", lastName: "Reynolds", age: 32 }, ], _games: [ { opponent: "Jets", teamPoints: 32, opponentPoints: 40 }, { opponent: "Giants", teamPoints: 45, opponentPoints: 12 }, { opponent: "Eagles", teamPoints: 31, opponentPoints: 50 }, ], addPlayer(newFirstName, newLastName, newAge) { let player = { this._players.firstName: newFirstName, this._players.lastName: newLastName, this._players.age: newAge } this._players.push(player); } };
    let player = {
      this._players.firstName: newFirstName,
      this._players.lastName: newLastName,
      this._players.age: newAge
    }

Using this here would refer to player, not team (because player is the innermost object);
and player does not have a ._players so there’s an error.

You only have to create a new player object, and then add it to the team._players array.

_players: [
    { firstName: "Pete", lastName: "Wheeler", age: 54 },
    { fistName: "Thomas", lastName: "Williams", age: 36 },  #firstName is misspelled
    { firstName: "Ryan", lastName: "Reynolds", age: 32 },
  ],

The player objects seem to have a Firstname property, a lastName property, and an age property.
So when you create a new player object, you’ll need to create an object that has those properties.

addPlayer(newFirstName, newLastName, newAge) {
    // create player object
    let player = {
      firstName: newFirstName,
      lastName: newLastName,
    }
    // add the player object to the ._players array
    this._players.push(player);
  }
1 Like

Thank you very much for your response! It makes more senses to me now