Taking a Vacation

I am having troubles with my code can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong

def hotel_cost(nigths):
return 140*nights

def plane_ride_cost(city):
if city == "Charlotte":
return 183
elif city == "Tampa":
return 220
elif city == "Pittsburgh":
return 222
elif city == "Los Angeles":
return 475

def rental_car_cost(days):
cost = days*40
if days >= 7:
cost = cost -50
return cost
elif days < 7 and days >= 3:
return cost - 20
else:
return cost;

def trip_cost(nigths, city, days)
return (hotel_cost(nights) + plane_ride_ticket(city) + rental_car_cost(days))

Oops, try again. Your code looks a bit off. Feel free to peek back at earlier exercises if you need a refresher! Take a look at the console window for the error message from the interpreter.

Thank you for your support!

Ok so,

1.You are missing a : after you declared your function:

2.Make sure you spell "nights" correctly or else it's going to throw a global variable error.
3.In the instructions, it clearly states that trip_cost (your last function) takes in two parameters (city and days).
4.Since that function takes in only city and days, change you parameter in hotel_cost(nights) to days => hotel_cost(days) or else it's going to throw a global variable error:

return (hotel_cost(nights) + plane_ride_ticket(city) + rental_car_cost(days))

5.You don't have a function called plane_ride_ticket. Are you referring to your plane_ride_cost function?
6.Make sure you indent properly!

You are absolutely right thank you very much!!
this was of great help

Hi,

Could you help me with the following? It throws an error like, 'Oops, try again. trip_cost should take exactly 3 arguments!'

def plane_ride_cost(city):
if city=="Charlotte":
return 183
elif city=="Tampa":
return 220
elif city=="Pittsburgh":
return 222
else:
return 475

def hotel_cost(days):
return 140*days

def rental_car_cost(days):
if days>=7:
return 40*days-50
elif 7>days>=3:
return 40*days-20
else:
return days*40

def spending_money(days):
return 200*days
#expense

def trip_cost(city,days):
return plane_ride_cost(city)+rental_car_cost(days)+spending_money(days)+hotel_cost(days)
print trip_cost("Tampa",3)

Thanks in advance for your help.

def trip_cost(city,days):
return plane_ride_cost(city)+rental_car_cost(days)+spending_money(days)+hotel_cost(days)
print trip_cost("Tampa",3)

You also need to take some money to spend.
After "days" in the brackets there should be something else.

Thanks for you response. However could you clarify what you meant by "You also need to take some money to spend." spending_money already have an argument called days. It am taking 200 per day. That's why I return 200*days.
Also I do not thing there should be anything else after days in def trip_cost(city,days) because there are no other argument of assign here. Or I am missing something glaring! Thanks for you help.

I do not like telling people, but oh well.

After days you need to add an argument called "spending_money"

I don't think so spending_money is not an argument it is a definition. What goes in the bracket is an argument. The argument of spending_money is days. This correspond to the argument for trip_cost, When I run my code using TextWrangler it runs fine and gives me correct solution. Only it happen in the code academy editor.

I'm just saying what I did and what worked for me

I don't know where you got the

def spending_money(days):
    return 200*days
#expense

from since it's not in any of the instructions (people need to be able to enter ANY amount of spending money (not just multiple of 200$).
Just simply remove that and add spending_money to trip_cost's parameter and equation:

def trip_cost(city, days, spending_money):
    return hotel_cost(days) + plane_ride_cost(city) + rental_car_cost(days) + spending_money

People just enter a spending money amount and it just adds to the trip_cost. It is an argument. Please read the instructions carefully (referring to lesson 6 instruction 1).

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.