Sum of digits

Below is the link of code I am stuck at:
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/practice-makes-perfect/exercises/digitsum?action=lesson_resume&link_content_target=interstitial_lesson

I am getting the below error:
File “python”, line 13
return sum_digits
^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

I was expecting it to run successfully. I have tried so many times but the code is keeping on throwing indentation errors.

Below is the code I have written:
def digit_sum(n):
  sum_digits = 0
  if n < 0:
    print "This is a negative no."
    return
  elif n == 0:
    return 0
  else:
    while n > 0:
      rem = n % 10
      sum_digits += rem
      n /= 10
  	return sum_digits

Someone please suggest what can be the mistake that is throwing the “Indentation error” here?

this two lines:

n /= 10
  	return sum_digits

don’t have the same indent level, why?

Yes, I agree they don’t have the same indent level but if you see carefully it’s just after a loop so if I keep it on the same indent level, result will be returned before I even completed the loop. And on your suggestion I tried the same as well, but the error is same.

Everyone may feel differently about this, but I like a function to return without printing, and then print the return value at the caller.

print (digit_sum(-1234))    # This is a negative number.

In other words,

return "This is a negative number."

Since you have set sum_of_digits to 0, then when your final return statement is outside of the if statement, it will return 0 if the loop does not run. This elif is not necessary.

Note that in Python 2 (used here) this will be an integer, but in Python 3 it will be a float. Suggest use floor division, instead so it will work correctly in both versions.

n //= 10

def digit_sum(n):
sum_digits = 0
while n > 0:
rem = n % 10
sum_digits += rem
n //= 10
return sum_digits

print digit_sum(0)
print digit_sum(5937)
print digit_sum(67392722)
print digit_sum(5)

I tried changing the code. But it is still not working. When I put return at the same level as the function is throws “return outside function” and if I put it at the same level as while loop it throws “Indentation error”.
It’s difficult to figure out what can be corrected here?

Because it needs the same indentation as the first line (sum_digits = 0).

def digit_sum(n):
    sum_digits = 0
    while n > 0:
        sum_digits += n % 10
        n //= 10
    return sum_digits

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.