Suggestions for supplemental learning for web design?

I feel like I’m completely out of my depth in this java script coarse, and I usually work at things until I feel comfortable that I understand concepts in the lessons but nothing seems like it retains, the second I move on I feel like I can’t retain the old topic and add on to it? I have been hitting the review and practice parts of the site quite a bit, I feel like the phone app ends up being somewhat to easy generally but the desktop review stuff WAY to hard? when I go to the forums I always feel like I get someone who can’t explain things in a way I understand, but refuses to “back down from the challenge” and just confuses me more. Are there like books I should be reading or like other supplemental practice spaces I should know about? because I’ve hit a brick wall.

1 Like

Hey @ethan.miller9, thanks for sharing about your experience here. I believe others may chime in with resources that you requested, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in: it sounds like you’ve been working at this pretty hard, and that (I know this is counterintuitive) you may just need a little break. I’ve worked alongside learners here at Codecademy and seen so many struggle, and often what gets them through is a day or two away from the keyboard. I hope this is helpful, even a little.

you dont have one book, podcast, youtube channel or anything? nothing that might help break down some ideas further? is there a tutor program (maybe through codecademy because its clear that no ones gonna betray the brand)?

Hey @ethan.miller9,

I’ve been learning here on CodeCademy for the last couple months doing the Full Stack career path. In the career path they recommend the book JavaScript & JQuery by Jon Duckett. I have found this book to be immensely helpful. The examples in this book are specifically geared towards web development which has been very helpful. It’s a very visual book which I really like and the fact that he shows the concepts using real website examples is fantastic. They also recommend his HTML & CSS book but I haven’t gotten to that part of the path yet.

As for podcasts, I have been checking out “Syntax - Tasty Web Development Treats” which is by a web developer named Wes Bos. Wes has a very useful website with more lessons and tips. Another podcast is “Learn to Code With Me” by Laurence Bradford.

There are so many YouTube videos/channels. I usually just search for a few keywords and watch the top rated videos. But I recommend FreeCodeCamp’s channel. They have a Learn JavaScript - Full Course for Beginners (3.5 hrs). In the video description they have each topic bookmarked so you can go right to the portion of the video that aligns with your CodeCademy lessons. They also have a JavaScript playlist.

Also, I do the CodeCademy practice packs religiously on my computer and the iOS app. I am also starting to do code challenges on Leet Code.

I also highly, highly recommend using the Mozilla MDN Web Docs. It’s the holy grail of JavaScript resources. It’s basically the owners manual. They have lots of examples and tutorials.

This ish is hard and I’m really struggling with it today but we both can do this. Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

See that’s what I love about coding textbooks: exercises to practice and develop your skills. Codecademy has a bit too much hand holding.

Here’s a free, open source textbook with exercises: Eloquent Javascript by Marijn Haverbeke. I haven’t checked it out in detail, but it looks promising.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents worth. Eloquent Javascript is a great book. But it is not beginner-friendly IMO.

1 Like