Succesive running of code reduces letter output everytime

Hi Everybody

I am on the last part of the PygLatin exercise

I am trying to run this code. When I run it the first time, with input (Saurabh), it gave me output as (aurabhsay) which is correct. When I run it again with input (Saurabh), it gave me output as (aurabhsa). When I run it again with input (Saurabh), it gave me output as (aurabhs) and so on.

But instead of new_word = (word + first + pyg)[1:len(new_word)] if I use new_word = (word + first + pyg)[1:], I get the correct output of (aurabhsay) everytime.

Can you please explain what is causing this issue?

It should give me output of (aurabhsay) everytime I input (Saurabh)

pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')
word = original.lower()
first = word[0]
new_word = (word + first + pyg)[1:len(new_word)]

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    print new_word
else:
    print 'empty'

Break it in two steps.

1st..
new_word = (word + first + pyg)

2nd..
then slice and reassign it again to new_word!

What is wrong in using it in same statement? The above code works in same statement when I use it without the len(new_word) part

What is wrong in using it in same statement? The above code works in same statement when I use it without the len(new_word) part

Because new_word is not even defined and youre trying to slice it.

well, here:

you create a new variable named new_word. Which i set to word + first + pyg which then sliced, but you use length of new_word here. But we haven't created new_word yet? We are in the process of creating new_word, we haven't done it actually yet

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I came here to ask a similar question because of the instructions:

Set new_word equal to the slice from the 1st index all the way to the end of new_word. Use [1:len(new_word)] to do this.

We are instructed to len(new word) to slice new_word which is being defined, and it works in the exercise. I was confused but I'm assuming that the slicing is evaluated last, is that correct?

No, code is evaluated from left to right and top to bottom just like reading (but with some exceptions like parentheses)

Then can you explain why

new_word = word[1:len(new_word)] + first + pyg

works? Seems like a circular reference.

it is, it shouldn't work, can i see your full code?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.