Student Becomes the Teacher: Lesson Number One

Hi there,

I'm about to go crazy looking over this code. I can't seem to figure out what is going on. When I click "Save and Submit" I receive two messages:

1) a pop-up stating "Oops, try again. Did you create a dictionary named lloyd? Your code threw a "global name 'lloyd' is not defined" error"

and 2) "File "python", line 9
"homework": [],
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax:"

in the console on the right.

Here is my code:

lloyd = {
    "name": "Lloyd",
    "quizzes": [],
    "tests": []
}

alice = {
    "name": "Alice"
}

tyler = {
    "name": "Tyler"
}

I've tried adding a space between "name" and the colon, switching to the single ' instead of ', double checked that I wasn't misspelling anything, and yet I can't seem to get out of this. What important but apparently not obvious to me mistake am I making?

The above lines are missing a comma at the end.

Ugh. Thank you! Does anyone have any idea why it stated that the issue was in the lloyd dictionary instead of the alice and tyler dictionaries?

The SCT is not as robust as Python, and has only a small selection of error messages. Sometimes they do not jive. However, the compiler errors raised by Python are generally pretty exact.

Notice where line 9 is? Right after "Alice".

Ah. Fantastic! Thank you for helping me understand all of this.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Student Becomes the Teacher: name has not the expected value

A post was merged into an existing topic: Student Becomes the Teacher: name has not the expected value