Student Becomes Teacher: Lesson One

Can't figure out anything on my own as usual. I wish this thing would give more useful error messages. Presently stuck on:

lloyd = {
"name": ["lloyd"],
"homework"
"quizzes"
"tests"
}

File "python", line 6
}
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Why is it saying the end curly bracket is invalid syntax? I've tried every indentation position but it doesn't seem to care.

How Is everybody doing?

You need commas after each quoted part

I had it that way at first and it was saying each comma was invalid syntax till I took them away, then went to the curly bracket being invalid

lloyd = {
"name": "lloyd",
"homework",
"quizzes",
"tests"
}

File "python", line 3
"homework",
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The basice set up is a string for name, which you have, and an empty list, [] after a colon for each of the other three properties.

'name': 'Lloyd',
___: [],

I also had tried that thinking that's what it wanted, and it points to the empty brackets saying they are invalid syntax. Sorry I haven't been able to figure out how to post to where it looks like code. Oh wait... needed colons and brackets! Ok at least this first part is working finally.

It would help if we know the lesson. There are a couple of steps taken to build the dictionaries taking two of three lessons to complete. Please post a link to the exercise you are on. Thanks.

It was referencing the exercise in the thread that I posted it in, just the beginning section. Now that it is moved it has no context.

There is enough context and the post does not relate to the other question, which is resolved.

alright I changed the title so it might help someone else with this ex

How about posting a link while you still can? Thanks.

Sorry, a link to what?

The exercise, so we don't have to search and guess.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.