Strange output?

When I run the code, if I run Los Angeles, it shows that I get (995, 0) instead of 995 and I dont know why the parenthesis are there.

def hotel_cost(nights):
    return 140*nights
def plane_ride_cost(city):
    if city == "Charlotte":
        return 183
    elif city == "Tampa":
        return 220
    elif city == "Pittsburgh":
        return 222
    elif city == "Los Angeles":
        return 475
def rental_car_cost(days):
    rental_car_cost = 40*days
    if days >= 7:
        rental_car_cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3:
        rental_car_cost -= 20
    return rental_car_cost
def trip_cost(city, days, spending_money):
    return rental_car_cost(days) + hotel_cost(days) + plane_ride_cost(city), + spending_money

this line:

return rental_car_cost(days) + hotel_cost(days) + plane_ride_cost(city), + spending_money

the , in this line will convert the integer into a tuple with two integers, remove the ,

It worked, thanks! I'm also trying to run the same line of code in CodeRunner, but the problem is nothing appears. I run the exact same line, but nothing is happening. Any thoughts as to what the problem could be?

function don't execute unless you call them. In the codecademy lesson, the validation/checking script executes function calls, in coderunner this is not happening, you have to call the functions yourself

So to gain information on
def trip_cost(city, days, spending_money):
I would call
def_cost("Los Angeles", 3, 0)

Like this?

no, the function is called trip_cost, not def_cost.

also, if you want to print the returned result add print on the function call:

print trip_cost("Los Angeles", 3, 0)

Yup I just realized i was thinking about the def function, it is trip_cost. My question is why do you have to write print? I thought when we had def we could just write trip_cost(enter all info here) and it would return the answer? I ran what you typed through CodeRunner and it came back with the correct results.

Also, are you familiar with Atom? I want to use that over CodeRunner, but the problem is whenever I try to run raw_input there's always an error... Any way around this if you know?

return means literal that, the function returns something, it hands you something back:

def example():
    return "hello world"
store = example()

the function returns something, this we can store in a variable, and then print it:

print store

or print it directly by adding a print statement to the function call

this has nothing to do with atom, codecademy runs python2.7.3, and you run very likely python3

python3 is not backward compatible with python2, raw_input is input in python3, and print also requires parentheses in python3 because it is now a function call rather then a statement:

print("hello world")

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.