Stocking out - problems with removing the stock

I’m not sure why it’s not working - it returns 9 instead of 7, I assume there must be a problem with the way that I’m removing the stock count?

def compute_bill(food):
  total = 0
  for item in food:
    if item > 0:
      total += prices[item]
      stock[key] -= 1
  return total

stock[key] -= 1

what is key here?

It refers to the key in the dictionary - sorry I didn’t paste the whole code:

shopping_list = ["banana", "orange", "apple"]

stock = {
  "banana": 6,
  "apple": 0,
  "orange": 32,
  "pear": 15
}

prices = {
  "banana": 4,
  "apple": 2,
  "orange": 1.5,
  "pear": 3
}

# Write your code below!
def compute_bill(food):
  total = 0
  for item in food:
    if item > 0:
      total += prices[item]
      stock[key] -= 1
      print stock
  return total

I’m putting in print stock just to see that it is working

how does python know it? if you call the function with shopping_list as an argument then you’ll get an error.

NameError: global name 'key' is not defined

Instead of key use item .if you don’t understand then print item like you did for stock.

Yes thank you! I managed to understand it must be stock[item] and now I am sitting with this:

shopping_list = ["banana", "orange", "apple"]

stock = {
  "banana": 6,
  "apple": 0,
  "orange": 32,
  "pear": 15
}

prices = {
  "banana": 4,
  "apple": 2,
  "orange": 1.5,
  "pear": 3
}

# Write your code below!
def compute_bill(food):
  total = 0
  for item in food:
    if item > 0:
    	total += prices[item]
      	stock[item] -= 1
  return stock

Now I am getting “calling compute_bill with a list containing 1 apple, 1 pear and 1 banana resulted in {‘orange’: 32, ‘pear’: 14, ‘banana’: 5, ‘apple’: -1} instead of the correct 7” so it seems like it’s maybe a problem with my ‘return stock’?

what should you return? what’s the main point to make that function?

The name of the function is pretty straightforward.

So should it be ‘return total’? Sorry I know I’m being dumb but I’m just struggling with this one so much for some reason… Thanks for your patience.

Managed to get it right… I think in the end I was just having indentation problems :slight_smile: Thanks so much for your help, appreciated.

now is it fine?

ask if you’ve any questions

All good thanks - I just changed the ‘if item > 0’ to ‘if stock[item] > 0’ and fixed the indentation on the return function… I think it was getting confused between stock[item] and price[item] maybe?

keys are same name for both stock and prices dictionaries. so we can work with same loop.
may be confused for first time but now you know :slight_smile:

I’m having an indentation problem… points at the 1 and says unindent does not match

I’d recommend going here: https://discuss.codecademy.com/c/python/python-beginner-en-IZ9Ra and creating a new topic, will be more visible and help you get answers quickly. Please remember to also paste your code as it makes it much easier seeing what isn’t matching.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.