SQLite / DB Browser / GIT Bash confusion

Hey,

In my course I got to the World Populations SQL Practise

https://www.codecademy.com/practice/projects/world-populations-sql-practice

Under set-up instructions it says

“If you choose to do this project on your computer instead of Codecademy, you can download what you’ll need by clicking the “Download” button below. If you need help setting up your computer, be sure to check out our SQLite setup guide. You can then run SQL commands from your terminal, or install DB Browser to run SQL commands from a desktop application. Our article on running SQL commands in DB Browser will walk you through opening a database file and running queries.”

So I want to start understanding the programs I would actually be using to code outside of the Codecademy browser. I downloaded the files as instructed above. From what I understand I then need SQLite or DB Browser.

When I then went to the Codecademy instructions on how to get SQLite it said I had to use a Git Bash terminal without actually explaining what that was :joy:

So what I want to know is, what exactly is a Git Bash Terminal and how do I get one, what is the relationship between this and SQLite, what is a DB Browser…I just need to be able to understand the relationship between all these things and what next steps I need to take.

Apologies for being such a novice haha.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

SQLite is a database engine. Which manage the data storage and retrieval

DB browser sounds like a graphical user interface (GUI) tool. This tool isn’t mandatory to have, but makes live easier. It can remember the different databases you have, easily show you all the tables you have in a database, write and test queries and more.

SQLite comes with a simple command line interface (CLI) where you can do most of these things, but DB browser or alternative really makes this easier

git bash isn’t actually one thing, its two things: git and bash. git is version control, while bash is a shell.

Git BASH

Git for Windows provides a BASH emulation used to run Git from the command line. *NIX users should feel right at home, as the BASH emulation behaves just like the “git” command in LINUX and UNIX environments.

You don’t really need git bash. You can install SQLite directly on windows as well

I am really struggling to keep this answer from becoming a very long read. There is too much to cover

3 Likes