SQLite cannot start - requires elevation

I am trying to get SQLite up and running…
Codecademy lesson:
https://www.codecademy.com/paths/web-development/tracks/sql-for-web-development/modules/setting-up-sqlite/articles/what-is-sqlite

I have downloaded the file from SQLite.
I unzipped it and can see the sqlite3.exe file in a few folders deep.
I go into Bash as instructed and go to the folder the exe file is located.
When I type: winpty ./sqlite3.exe I get this error:

$ winpty ./sqlite3.exe
winpty: error: cannot start 'C:/Users/inlay/Documents/CHIP/SQLite/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3340100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3340100/sqlite3.exe': The requested operation requires elevation. (error 0x2e4)

If I go to the folder in windows, and right-click on it, select ‘run as administrator’, I get this message:

User Account Control
“Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device.”
So, I’m figuring that this is part of the problem.

I’ve looked at the properties of the folder that the exe is in, and the file itself, and it seems that I have full control.

I’m not sure what exactly is wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

Chip

Whether or not you have full control over the folder and/or the executable is irrelevant here.

You’re receiving that dialog because you’re opting to run the executable as an administrator - you are manually elevating the process to one with administrative-level privileges to the system.

I don’t use bash with Windows, in no small part because it results in an absolutely dreadful UX, so I can’t be sure whether what’s actually complaining about elevation is the attempt to use winpty as a terminal emulator to talk to sqlite.

Try just using a regular command shell (cmd.exe) and running sqlite in that. You might have more luck.

If you’re using Windows and you want to get a usable experience with bash, I would suggest that you look into the Windows Subsystem for Linux. It allows you to run an actual Linux distro, which actually works with bash without being a complete nightmare, inside your Windows installation.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight.
I thought, for some unexplainable reason, that the SQLite was going to run in the BASH environment once I got the executable to run. That’s why I was fighting so long with BASH… now I know I didn’t need to because SQLite just opens up its own window to use.
If I just double click on the SQLite file and click ‘Yes’ to the pop-up window, the SQLite window opens up fine.
So, I guess I’m all set.
It always seems to be the little things that drive me nuts.
Thanks again for the help.

Chip

2 Likes