Social worker to software engineer.. help choosing path

Hey everyone!

I am a social worker wanting to change my career. I took the quiz and it says to try the software engineer path. However, I am a complete beginner. my only “experience” coding is playing code combat. Should I start the software engineer path or computer science path? Id like to build a solid foundation since I do not have a tech background.

Also, I am starting with code academy first to make sure this career change is something I actually want to do. Once I complete a year or so worth of studying I may try a CS degree. Unless, I am able to get an apprenticeship.

I appreciate all the help, advice and tips! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forums.
I am not familiar with the quizzes, but, I am familiar w/not having a CS background myself (Sociology).
I would suggest that rather than delving into a career path & getting overwhelmed that perhaps you start with one language and go from there. Try Python 3 first (b/c it’s used for so many things) and then, maybe Javascript after that. It all depends on what you want to do and build/work on. I’m sure you’ve already read up on engineering and CS but also look at apps and things that interest you to further refine what it is that you want to do.

Also, check out the Community section here b/c there are a lot of ppl who have posted similar questions about changing careers and received some really useful advice. That way, you won’t feel so alone.

@lisalisaj I appreciate your response and advice! Thank you.

1 Like