Simple Errors

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-en-cxMGf/0/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

My code is working exactly as I want it to and how I think the instructions require me to. What is wrong?
The instructions list:

Fill in the loop condition so the user will be prompted for a choice over and over while choice does not equal 'y' and choice does not equal 'n'.

I expected my code to be accepted as it generates no Python errors and it works as designed :slight_smile:

choice = raw_input('Enjoying the course? (y/n)')

while choice <> "n" and choice <> "y":  # Fill in the condition (before the colon)
    choice = raw_input("Sorry, I didn't catch that. Enter again: ")

in the loop condition, why do you use <>?

I use <> because it's a valid alternative to != is it not?

valid? Yes. Common? Not that i know. Does the exercise like it? Certainly not, as you can tell by the error message thrown by the exercise. Just use !=

The emulator accepts it just fine, it works as intended and generates no errors. If I recall correctly, earlier exercises have accepted the use of it (or maybe just look at the result).

Because of this I did some research and see that <> is apparently obsolescent from Python 3 on, so using != is the way to go, obviously. Maybe the feedback should be to recommend using != instead of <>
There is nothing wrong with my code for the version of python it apparently uses, so I think it's wrong to deny the validity of my code because of that.

Thank you for your quick answer!

well, working in codecademy besides the errors generated by the python interpreter ou also have to deal with the lesson validation (SCT) , which doesn't always give you all the freedom (this would make exercise validation very difficult sometimes)

well, there is probably a good reason <> is obsolescent, so i would recommend the use of !=

Understood, I'll do that from now on.