Simple errors Bug?

Why oring this condition will make this an infinity loop?

while choice != 'y' or choice!= 'n':

I knew the answer is using and. but or will be also valid and should not create infinite loop, isn't it?

choice = raw_input('Enjoying the course? (y/n)')

while choice != 'y' or choice!= 'n':  # Fill in the condition (before the colon)
    choice = raw_input("Sorry, I didn't catch that. Enter again: ")

In this instance, or is not the operator to use. We need both conditions to be true, not just one of them. Use and.

OR is short-circuiting, meaning only one operand needs to be true, not both.

Thank you very much.

How can the value of choice be "y" and "n" at the same time? the user is supposed to enter either y or n. therefore, the condition should be (choice!="y" or choice!="n"), isn't it?

I think:

choice!="y" or choice!="n" will create infinite loop because user is gong to enter either y or n or others. therefore,

while(choice!="y" or choice!="n") will always execute because
when user enter y:while (False or True) will give True.(infinite loop)
when user enter n:while (True or False) will give True.(infinite loop)
when user enter others:while (True or True) will give True.(infinite loop)
and the program will crash. So we will use
while(choice!="y" and choice!="n"), This way:
when user enter y: while (False and True) will give False.(exit the loop normally)
when user enter n: while (True and False) will give False.(exit the loop normally)
when user enter others: while (True and True) will give True.(Ask user for input again)

They can't. The expression,

choice != 'y' and choice != 'n'

means neither character has been chosen. The loop will repeat until one of 'y' or 'n' are chosen.

!=  means 'not equal to'.

oh yes. i am sorry. i understand it now. thank you for replying, it helped me. thanks again :slight_smile:

good explanation, its counter-intuitive but given that while executes as long as True, this makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.