Should kids learn real coding, or stick to 3rd party programs like Code Monkey or Scratch?

And although I don’t consider this a good idea for actually learning code, something that might get them use to the idea of actually writing code is the "Swift’ game app thingy from apple.

Thanks! This also helped =)

It depends when they start. If they are 10, it may be better to just start with real code, but it’s always good to start with the basics.

Yes. Well, possibly. Like you said I found it to be on readyness level where if you do Scratch good, then move on to JS or whatever.

Thanks for replying =)

Your welcome @trevorhodges

Being able to code can be challanging when you don’t know what and how to do it. That could also be another factor to it.

True. Sometimes coding being me a struggle, and I really don’t like it. But that is how they can learn problem solving skills.

Ture, they can solving skills, but they still may get angry. I see your point, but also this is practically an endless discussion. There is no right or wrong answer persay.

I guess it could be an endless discussion. But is it though? Sure they may angry, but like I said, they can try and problem solve. If really stuck, why not ask for help? It won’t hurt that much , would it?

I think these are things a parent should decide for his own. Every kid would react different so there is no answer for those questions. Do whatever you think is best for the child.

I see that. So parent makes the decisions instead of child? If so, child wouldn’t have that freedom :disappointed_relieved:

Not every kid wants to be a programmer, the goal of parents is to give the child the highest chance of success. You can’t make someone be successful you can only help them attain qualities that will increase their probability of success.

True, but if the kid wants to, what should it start with is the question.

I hope you that helps you understand a little bit better =)

Many have said before, Depends on age and mental abilities. We have to look at our kids objectively. Some kids we have to realize, need to start with simpler things while others can go straight to the more complicated stuff.

Yes. I sort of said that too a while ago. I don’t know…
Both potions seem good. Its hard to chose…

@trevorhodges Yes, mental ability is important. If they are not mentally capable, they aren’t ready. Don’t push them to do things they can’t.

Anyway, nice job on getting Super User @trevorhodges!

Thank you @icetomeetyou!

I know not to push premature. Yes, that is also important.

I kind of disagree with that, because what if the child is an overachiever? What if they don’t like what they’re doing?

Just let them do whatever they want. If they want a 3rd party program for them to learn, then let them do it. If they want to actually make lines of code, then let them do it.

Good. Pushing premature gets into a whole new zone.

@_markviii @biirra
Yes, kids should have that freedom. It would help them choose, and if 3rd party is too easy or coding is too hard, let them switch.

I would have to agree with @icetomeetyou on that. But do remember also that there needs to be a line too. Like doing about 5 courses at a time, and they aren’t compatible together. Then you could mix up things.

In my opinion:
It pretty much depends.
Some times Real programming can be way over their head, When this happens, 3rd Party Comes into their life.
Else sometimes they may like Real programming, And it’s just right; They can do it,
It just depends on them.:sunglasses::wink::grin: