Codecademy Forums

Should I learn both JavaScript and CSS?

Hi everyone, I’m curious should I learn both Javascript and CSS? Learning one language takes a lot of work but learning 2 back to back is another thing entirely!

6 Likes

CSS is a helper to HTML. So, first, basic HTML, then CSS + HTML, then JavaScript. The latter will enormously augment the things you can do with CSS and HTML, and at the same time give you valuable experience with procedural programming, making it easier to learn other languages such as Java or Python in the future.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, is python the standard hacking language or is it primarily used for web-development?

3 Likes

Python is not a web language. It a programming language that is one of the most popular.

4 Likes

In that case is it too much to learn Python on top of HTML, CSS and JavaScript?

3 Likes

First learn HTMl, then CSS, then JS. Python is in a different league.

4 Likes

Yes, you should learn both. Javascript allows interaction between the website and the user.

As a beginner too, I can say CSS is not really hard as you may think. So, learning both language shouldn’t be a big deal.

5 Likes

Also going more advanced after all of those languages could be jQuery, SQL, Ruby, PHP, etc.

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice, can I ask one last thing, what exactly is block chain?

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. Road to web development is really a long journey :smile:

4 Likes

A blockchain, originally block chain, is a growing list of records, called blocks, that are linked using cryptography. Each block contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block, a timestamp, and transaction data. By design, a blockchain is resistant to modification of the data.

4 Likes

Yes. But the core three (html, css, js) is all you need unless you’re going advanced.

5 Likes

Out of the advanced languages, what is the most popular to learn after the core three?

3 Likes

Probably either jQuery beause it is JavaScript’s library or SQL because its a database, and a lot of web development jobs require it.

2 Likes

This is really helpful, thank you! Just curious, do you know how to code with Python?

3 Likes

PHP and Ruby are both side-server which explains why they don’t get used a lot.

1 Like

I know the basics (how to do text) in Python. That’s it for me.

4 Likes

Its as long as you make it. But it does take a while to learn and memorize it all.

5 Likes

just because its a library doesn’t mean you should use it. Jquery is declining in popularity because of several reasons (it was designed to solve a problem which no longer exist (cross browser support), which now happens in JS itself). Fetch and axios are popular alternatives for making asynchronous request.

for extensive DOM manipulation better libraries/frameworks now exist (vueJS, reactJS)

SQL is not a database, MySQL and PostGreSQL are database. SQL is the “language” we use to write queries for the databases.

PHP powers something like 70% or 80% of all websites on the back-end. I would call that extensive usage. I suppose this partly because wordpress is a very popular CMS. (source).

html is not even a programming language, and they are not core language of any sort. They are just languages used in a certain area of programming (web development in this case)

Once you have enough experience, learning new languages/frameworks/libraries becomes a lot easier. Then you just consider which language/framework/library is best for the job, and you use that. Each language/framework/library has pros and cons. Use the best tool for the job (if possible of course)

In the beginning, just choice something so you can learn the basic concepts.

7 Likes

HTML,CSS, and JS are the core 3 Web Development languages. Everything else helps support it normally. PHP is a exception.

4 Likes