Should i give up on javascript?

It seems that i can’t understand javascript, even if i try hard and put all my efforts. I tried to learn from different sources, courses, books, mdn ecc. I feel so frustrated and i’m starting to think that i should simply give up. But i’m not like this, I don’t want to quit. So do you think is a good idea to start with another programming language like Python or Ruby and go back on js? Which one do you suggest? (This is the first programming language that i attempt to learn, i know only html and css and my final goal is to develop websites).

What I think you should do is move onto something that you like, but if you are not a quitter, you shouldn’t end that not quitting streak now and I congratulate you on not being a quitter. :slight_smile:

Remember that you have a full community willing to give tutorials and help you at any time. :smile:

I remember when I started developing in JS. It’s a tough language to learn. It’s nothing like HTML or CSS. But trust me, just keep practicing and asking questions. You’ll learn how to create some pretty sweet websites as well as web apps.

Some languages that might help you ease in would be Python and Java. They are not quite like JS, but it can reinforce the syntax and programming style similar to JS. Again it’s very different than what you learned with HTML and CSS.

Also are you trying to learn different libraries, such as Angular, Node, or React? It’s probably best to start with “vanilla” JS.

Stay determined. The toughest part about programming is starting to. Once you get over the learning curve, there’s so much you can create. Stay active on forums too. There will always be someone to give you advice, tips, and encouragement :grinning:

Hi @andrea9898,

My personal opinion: It’s subjective whether everyone or anyone can learn a skill and be really good with it simply because different people, different resources’ constraints. One thing for sure (I felt), given enough time, enough enthusiasm and perseverance together with enough resources, a skill can be learnt. For me, coding is same as well. Whether to be really good at it or not, it’s another matter.

Great to hear this, you have a good mindset to start this with, that should be applauded. If you do not want to quit, have you asked yourself how much time you had given yourself to try understand JavaScript? Have you tried all or every possible ways of learning it? You have the right mindset of not quitting, but do you have the appropriate studying plan/method or correct approach of learning to code? Are you in a urgent/dire need to learn JavaScript fast or in a very short period of time? Is learning to code your only way out of your current situation?

Questions of self-doubting will always be present while you learn to code or even if you’re a programmer. Google programmer imposter syndrome. So if you feel this is hard, it will get harder when you proceed to the advance stage, because everything on top is built upon the foundation. You have to ensure yourself to understand the very basic concepts and have a good solid foundation.

Everyone is not gifted the same way. Some people learn it fast, some people stumble. Ultimately, if you want it so much, you will have to work much harder for it even it takes much longer or more effort from your side compared to others just because it’s simply your choice, your desire. If you feel like you had given all your shots and decided it is not worth your time to keep trying, then it’s fine too. The main question remains, how hard have you tried? When you tried your best, are you sure you can’t be better at it next time?

While answering your question, this popular internet quote/meme just flashed through my mind: Something about teaching a fish to climb a tree, the fish will believe it’s impossible? Don’t forget though, the current reptiles that are climbing trees long evolved from amphibians which long evolved from fish that tried to adapt/climb onto land, it’s possible, but it just took hundreds millions of years. My point is, hope is not lost, something can still be achievable, it just took longer time and the effort of blood and sweat.

Upon google, I found this article a very good read and should serve as a motivation. Quoted: The notion of learning is that you can learn things, you don’t have to be a genius, you just have to work hard and learn how to do it.

Developing website is all part of the front-end development, which currently needs HTML, CSS and JavaScript. That case, learning JavaScript is inevitable. After learning JavaScript, you will need to learn the fast-changing JavaScript framework that pop up every now and then. Doing all that, you can say you have a good grasp of front-end development.

Another detailed reply and some other resources here:

In the end, others can only share with you their opinions, only you will be the one to decide whether this path is suitable for you or not, or even worth your time. My advice, if you really want to learn this, don’t push yourself too hard, go slow, give it at least a year (if you’re not in urgent need), do it every day, learn to ask good questions, you will at least see yourself somehow improving, within a year’s time, you will notice the changes. However, you must also prepare to acknowledge your learning pace and know that there are so much more out there to learn with programming as it does not stop changing.

That said, I wish you all the best mate. Life is always about choices. :slight_smile:

Go to Python first. the problem is that, if you start trying and fail a lot your brain will start relating coding to pain, in other words, >>>code=failure.

Therefore, for you start felling good and keep going, you have to start small. come to python bro and you will fell dopamine flowing to your brain each time you pass a lesson and see progress. >>>code=success.

Agreed that Python might be a decent alternative for a first programming language.
Ruby would, too.

@andrea9898

JavaScript is a mess of a language. Go back to it later on. Grasp programming concepts using other languages, and then try your luck with JavaScript once you’re not a beginner anymore.

You’re just facing a road block, it happens. Find a solution. You should be fine, I’m not worried. As you said, you’re not a quitter, and that alone is enough to see this through.

No, i would like to have solid foundations before starting to use frameworks. Anyway, thank you!

Thank you for all your advice :slight_smile: Maybe i should try a different learning approach, constancy is not a problem. Like you said javascript is inevitable if i want to become a front end developer. Even if i don’t get it, it’s a priority for me. My biggest dream is to become a really good front-end developer and move to the US and that’s my long-term goal (i don’t care how much time will take).

However 5 months from now i will start the college, so i would like to start to make some websites as a part-time freelancer to support myself.(currently i’m in a crappy economic situation.)

P.S Sorry for my bad English (in college i will study languages hopefully my English will get better too)