Should I do Data Science career path before Computer Science path?

Hello, everyone.

I’m interested in data science (machine learning in particular), so I want to get straight to Data Science career path. But I don’t know if I should do Data Science career path before Computer Science path?

Are you expecting to learn calculus, analytical geometry, linear algebra, polynomials, statistics, combinations and permutations, probability, algorithms and logic, etc. or just the basics of programming? What do you bring to the table? If any or all of the above, and more, take both. If none, or few then be prepared to learn some Maths on the side so these courses have some real meaning, else you’re wasting your time.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d agree that learning is ever a waste of time, but I :100:agree with asking yourself all of the questions that Roy listed. I think knowing the answers to all of those will help to clarify your path.

1 Like

I guess one could have said, “you’ll find it a real wheel spinner…”

Learning any of that list of Maths disciplines at the same time as learning how to implement them in a program would result in more confusion and frustration than warranted in either case. Math is a prerequisite to either path. Not just high school math, college level math.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, mtf and alyssaavigil.

A little bit about myself. I’m a high school senior so there is not much math that I know, I guess (studying Precalculus). I want to start studying machine learning so Computer Science and Data Science are both equally important.

The question I really have is if I should start with Data Science first or Computer Science first so I can have a good understanding and a smooth start with machine learning. I want to have an order to go through the career paths.

Because you said math is so important, I think I should go slow and start from Computer Science while studying math (maybe using Khan Academy and FreeCodeCamp) then Data Science after that.

Please do reply if there is any suggestions!

Thank you for making me less naive.

1 Like

If you have not already, start with Learn Python 3, and do everything related to that track. That should expose you to enough rudiments and advanced concepts to feel relatively at home in either of those paths. Just as we need to develop math skills, we also need to develop programming skills, before embarking on those paths.

Start at the bottom and work your way up. Starting anywhere else is just asking for trouble. As maths go, you are at the low end of the learning curve but far enough along to understand graphing and the equations they represent, whether functions or relations. You’ll have been exposed to a wide variety of identities, including trigonometry; you’ll understand e, i, pi; you’ll understand logarithms and exponential functions; you’ll have worked with Newton’s approximation and Binomial Theorem; and you’ll have worked with Statistics and Probability, sets and a host of other concepts too many to cover. It’s just the start of the curve, though, so keep that learning going as you embark on the basics of Python and programming in general. Don’t get ahead of yourself. It’s not a race.

1 Like