Share focus tips! Just started 30 day challenge

Hey all - have a ton going on in life w/ a full time role, 1 year old at home and wife working remote. trying to carve out time each day to do the 30 day challenge for personal / professional learning. Any advice / thoughts about maintaining daily focus?

thanks!

2 Likes

No matter how many minutes or hours you are planning to commit to it each day… always just start! Even if you think that you won’t have much time, have to do something else soon, are tired… just start. everyday. even if you feel that it will be for only 5 or 10 minutes! just - start!
If you manage to stay for longer and feel that you are losing focus, put a 15 or 20 minutes timer and take a little break away from the computer (3 minutes or so) once the time’s up. And restart. This will help you stay focused and fresh for longer.
Also, this is not a race, so take your time on more challenging concepts and redo it if necessary.
Many people try to speed run over some exercises and some concepts become hard to understand once they get more complex.
I recently completed my 30 day challenge and it was lots of fun! I really learned a lot.
Hope you have a good time! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey :slight_smile: Maybe try writing down your goals/accomplishments for each day just for yourself so that you can keep track of things or maybe share it with a group of like minded devs at your level - instagram is good for this and you can end up motivating and pushing each other to do more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do the NIKE thing: Just Do It. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find that it’s easiest to do it first thing every day, but that depends on you. Having a set time every day helps, so does setting annoying reminders that keep ringing until you do it. :smiley:

I believe in you!! I think it’s cool you take the special time to code with your busy life. You can do it!! :tada:

Ooh, and take time to let the community know how you’re doing. I find that encouragement always helps me keep going. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

2 Likes

Try your best to be realistic with the schedule you intend on following. This means don’t overachieve and burnout because your schedule was too demanding. Start with 30 minutes a day. This can be divided into 15 minutes twice a day or 10 minutes three times a day. You can increase or decrease your set time according to what works best for you. The thing that helps me stay motivated is watching vlogs or youtubers who have already achieved the goal of what I want. Also watching motivational speeches in general is helpful for hard times. Listening to low fi music always calms my anxiety down when I feel anxious on complicated topics. I highly recommend listening to low fi, meditation, or instrumental music. Don’t give up! Even if you miss a day for any reason just try again the next day, and the day after that. Don’t be hard on yourself. You can do this. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

also the codecademy website on the computer platform has a timer for when your completing lessons !

1 Like

Welcome to the community @giga0712082894! All of these responses to your call for advice are so good – I would recommend the same!

Another way to fit in a little extra coding time is by downloading the Codecademy GO app and practicing coding on there. On the Codecademy Go app, we have bite-sized practice content for you to enjoy and use to reinforce what you’re learning on our web product. Note it syncs up with what you’re learning on our web product so you’re not repeating content. :slight_smile:

Also, I find listening to Brain.fm helps me stay focused! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPZslKCeiw

I agree with design852. In that just starting makes all the difference. Our minds place importance on things we do consistently do over and over again. So spending 15 mins a day for 30 days will teach you far more than if you spent 8 straight hours learning. and again once you start the repetition it becomes a part of your life. like checking your email.

2 Likes