Setting Up SQLite

What is SQLite?

• Setting Up SQLite

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-sql/articles/what-is-sqlite

The text AND the video do a terrible job at getting everything set up.

I need a super dumbed-down step-by-step guide on how to get everything going.

From the video, the guy talks about using a different CMDER system due to preference… okay. But MUST I download that? Well, I did. I tried copying everything he did in the video and it was just a mess.

I contacted CodeAcademy help and no one there can or will do anything.

This is not a good start for me and I am seeking help.

Note to the moderators: Yes, someone else has a forum on this. However, they seem quite adept in the SQL knowledge… as I am not. So, I am making a new post in hopes someone can just help me understand the information that CodeAcademy has rather than point me in an offsite direction.

TIA!!!

1 Like

@ryanfelton6315614374,

Welcome to the forums!

You do not need to download CMDer to run SQLite from the command line. You can make it work with any terminal (CMD, Powershell, Git Bash, CMDer, Anaconda Prompt, etc.). That being said, each one will require a different setup.

If you are really set on using SQLite on the command line, try walking through the written Codecademy instructions (not the video) and then reply to this thread exactly which step you are having trouble with.

However, if you are open to trying DB Browser instead I think you will find it both easier to install and easier to use. Here is the Codecademy video on how to use and get started with DB Browser in case you want to try it: https://www.codecademy.com/articles/setting-up-db-browser

2 Likes

Sorry you’re having such a hard time with the setup process. Which operating system do you have?

2 Likes

Windows 10 Home Edition

Thank you. However, I am really looking at getting a complete walk-through using the application that are already on my computer. I took a look and the DB Browser and it is made by the same person who skips over details. So I am trying to avoid that route.

Which application are you referring to that is “already on your computer”?

Also, are you looking for a walk-through on the set-up or the usage of SQLite?

As I mentioned above, if you want to use SQLite on the command line using Git Bash, follow the Codecademy written instructions for setting it up and if you have problems we can walk you through what went wrong. I’ve tested the written instructions and they work perfectly so long as a) you use the name of the file you downloaded on your computer (the instructions say cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/ but you’ll have to change 3200100 to the number you see on your own downloaded folder since a few different versions have come out since then); and b) don’t have spaces in the file path. If you do have spaces, I can walk you through how to fix the command so that it works properly.

Please give it a try and tell us where you are having problems, since we cannot help you if we don’t know what you are doing wrong.

As far as the DB Browser video, I know it is made by the same guy as the command line one, but this video actually walks you through what you need to know. DB Browser is a lot easier for command line newbies and also Windows users who are used to GUI interfaces because the setup is all point and click.

1 Like

I went ahead and checked out DB Browser - I feel like you are correct when you indicate it is easier to use for newbies!!! Downloading the Start Packs and opening then is much easier. I do appreciate your help.

2 Likes