Codecademy Forums

Setting Up SQLite via Git Bash Trouble

Hi all,

I am on Windows OS

I’m working on SQLite via git bash

The direction calls for:
"From your git-bash terminal, open the directory of the unzipped folder with cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/ ."

This is what I’m inputting:
mynam@DESKTOP-QDFD8MT MINGW64 ~
$ cd ~/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/

This is what I’m receiving:
bash: cd: /c/Users/mynam/Downloads/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100/: No such file or directory

I tried moving the file to a different area and changing up my command but each time, I receive
“No such file or directory”.

Hello, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you make sure that this path is correct using the file explorer? I mean, open file explorer, open your user directory, move to Downloads, open sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100 and check if there is a sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100 directory.

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

My path is as follows:

C:\Users\mynam\Downloads\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100

I’ve also tried:

C:\Users\mynam\Downloads\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100\sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100\sqlite3.exe

All came back “No such file or directory”.

All of these files exist.

**Update: I just input in the code and got a “>” symbol, which is different than before. When I input the next set of code:
winpty ./sqlite3.exe
I received:
bash: cd: too many arguments

The directory name is probably different from what you’re copy-pasting in.

Take a look at what the name is, and use that name.

You’re able to find the directory with a file explorer, why is that? Because you look at the available options and pick one. Doing it in a terminal isn’t any different.

2 Likes

Alright guys,

Thank you for your help. I did it!

I copied and pasted the directory code from my computer folder which had the slash going " \ " but the code on codecademy had slashes going " / ". I changed to " / " and removed “C:\Users\mynam” from the code.

And presto.

1 Like

Windows accepts both forward and backward slashes as delimiters.

And, from gitbash’s point of view, C:\ might be /c

A likely difference is that your directory had 329 in its name instead of 320, since the current version is 3.29 and if you downloaded it from sqlite’s download page that’s what you would get.
I would have done something like navigated to the download directory

$ cd ~/Downloads

and then list everything there (or even have a custom cd command that runs ls after the change)

$ ls

…again, no different from a graphical file explorer, bash is a file explorer, so you should be getting your information from bash, not from some copy-pasted text from codecademy or some other file explorer.

$ cd sql<TAB>

It’s not supposed to be inconvenient either. There’s tab completion for file names (assuming that tab completion is installed) which saves you from typing long weird names and also confirms that it’s something that is really there. I tab complete even very short names just for the confirmation to avoid mistakes, it’s a lot like clicking on icons.

2 Likes

Wow the button is very useful. Thanks for that!

Yes, my sqlite is version 3.29 and thanks for informing me to use ls instead of copy+paste.
Very informational!