Setting up Jupyter Notebook (MacOS)

Good morning!

I am currently on the Data Science path, where I am tasked with downloading Jupyter Notebook and all of the associated downloads!
https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/dscp-python-fundamentals/modules/dscp-getting-started-off-platform/articles/setting-up-jupyter-notebook
I have downloaded the most recent stable Python3 (3.9), and have tried changing the command alias for my Terminal to use Python3 instead of Python2 automatically through the bash_profile.

I am unfortunately still experiencing issues here. As you can see (see image below), Python (Version 2.7.16) is still set as the active python version.

I am also unfortunately running into issues after installing the MiniConda PKG. I download the PKG with no issues, however, when I try and type “conda list” in Terminal, it returns that the command is not found.

One thing to note about Miniconda is is that the CodeCademy documentation calls for me to download Miniconda 3.7, however the only release on their website is 3.8. Could this be a possible issue?

Sorry for the long question, but I would appreciate all the help I can get!

-Taylor

Here is my bash_profile file. I have confirmed that it is saved.

Hi welcome to the forums.

Do you have Catalina?

Would this be of any help?

For correctly initialising conda on a Mac have a look through conda’s own guidance (if you’re on Catalina see the additional instructions on this same page under MacOS Catalina heading)-

If you’re using conda there’s not really any call to alias Python to Python3 in your shell (to be fair this extends beyond conda). Conda themselves suggest that you work within a virtual environment. It might be a little more work in the first place but it’s much more practical for a professional setting and also makes work on your own pc a little more manageable. I think it’s well worth the time investment to do so.

A link to conda’s getting started guide which is worth a read and also covers environments (it really is worthwhile getting to grips with virtual environments): https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/getting-started.html