Setting up Jupyter notebook and connecting dots with ipython

I just started “off-platform” on my pro data analyst career path. I’m really excited, but this new section has a lot of terms I’m unfamiliar with related to basic computer science.

Here is a link to my current lesson’s article:

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-analyst/tracks/dscp-python-fundamentals/modules/dscp-getting-started-off-platform/articles/getting-started-with-jupyter

First, of all it mentions ipython as an interpreter (vs. compiler). Secondly, ipython as a kernel for jupyter notebooks.

My understanding is that ipython is downloaded to make bash-scripted python code expressed more efficiently and user-friendly than the typical interpreter. Also the kernel is the “brains” of the operation where processes are considered and executing the code. I learned a lot from the video below about how Jupyter is literally a notebook like scientists would use to track research but with ipython as a kernel to run code through it along with the paragraphs and graphs. It allows for more friendly viewing and collaboration.

I basically want to know if I’m comprehending these processes and programs. (Like jupyter is an application but how is ipython stored in the computer?) Please help if you can to explain these processes for me and future learners! Thanks!

Here is a link to a video that really helped me understand the topic more:

https://www.codecademy.com/articles/how-to-use-jupyter-notebooks

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Jupyter is a spin-off project from iPython and Jupyter Notebook replaced iPython Notebook. It’s a web-based & interactive environment to run python code. When you open a Terminal window (are you on a mac?) you just type, ‘jupyter notebook’ which will open a tab in your web browser and you should see your local file system and from there you can open your .ipynb files or create new ones. You have to install Jupyter on your machine. (assuming that you’ve also got the latest version of Python).

From the article:
" Jupyter Notebook is built off of IPython , an interactive way of running Python code in the terminal using the REPL model (Read-Eval-Print-Loop). The IPython Kernel runs the computations and communicates with the Jupyter Notebook front-end interface."

2 Likes

Thank you! That last quote was very helpful to point out!

1 Like

You’re welcome. I totally understand that it can be confusing!
Ex: I was today years old when I realized the the file extension, .ipynb stood for iPython.
How did I not realize this?? :woman_facepalming:t2: