Setting up a work environment and npm can't find the lessons modules

Link to the Lesson

There’s basically nothing to the code, so I know the code isn’t the issue, and it does work in the codecademy learning environment, but I need to know how to do it on my pc eventually and if I’m not finding the answer now then I’m not gonna find it 6 months from now.

I’ve installed node.js, npm, and lodash into the environment, but when I try to run the file (node _.js) it returns with:

Error: Cannot find module ‘E:\Documents\GitHub\work-environment_.js’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:933:15)
at Function.Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:778:27)
at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (node:internal/modules/run_main:81:12)
at node:internal/main/run_main_module:17:47 {
code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
requireStack:
}

I’ve tried updating to the latest npm, uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cache, deleting node_modules and package-lock.json. None of these have made any difference.

It seems to be that the directory path is the issue. The file is located in

E:\Documents\GitHub\work-environment\lodash\_.js 

but it appears you are trying to run if from

E:\Documents\GitHub\work-environment\_.js

Try to change directory into the lodash directory before running it and see if you can get it to work

no no, it just looks like it. _.js is actually 1 directory up from lodash

Well if you go to any directory and type:

node not_a_file.js

Then you will see the same error msg due to a non-existent file. So I would still consider that you could be in the wrong directory. It appeared that way on your screenshot of VS-Code although the error msg “Cannot find module” can sound a bit confusing when it’s due to a simple missing js-file.

omfg you’re right, I was looking at it the complete wrong way. Wow I feel sooo stupid!

1 Like