Searching text for your name

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/javascript-beginner-en-XEDZA/0/5?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661

I am not good at logic problems so even it showed that I am JS master but actually I am not. =(

Can any one explain to me that what is the purpose to+iin this code? j<(myName.length+i)

for(var i=0; i<text.length; i++){
    if(text[i]==="P"){
      for(var j=i; j<(myName.length+i) ; j++){
        hits.push(text[j]);  }  }
}

this program your building, allows you to find your name in a text

so we start by looping over text and compare each letter in text with the first letter of your name (this is done by the if condition)

the moment the first letter of your name is found, i will contain the index of the first letter of your name

now we need a way to loop from the first letter of your name (i) to the last letter, Which is i + myName.length (given what we want to find is your name, its also perfect to use the length of myName as stop value)

Thank you very much.
However, I am still a bit not sure that isn't ˋmyName.lengthˋ already contents every character of my name?
Is it because I set the ending as less than ˋmyName.lengthˋ? ˋ// j<(myName.length+i) ˋ
What if I set it as `j<=(myName.length)` ?
Do I still need to `+i`?
(and since `i` has already contained the index of the first letter of my name after checking from the text, isn't it now equal to `var j=i` in my second `for loop` ?

yes, but we need a stop value for the second loop (which is finding your name in textstring)

then we would also get the character after your name, for example:

var text = "Papa "
result = [];
for (x = 0; x < myName.length; x++){
    result.push(text[x])
}

now your name is perfectly pushed, if you would use <= the space would also be pushed in to the array

i should actually have written the for loop in the example above as:

for (x = 0; x < myName.length + 0; x++){
    result.push(text[x])
}

because it allows me to explain the use of i, in the example above x starts at 0, but what if it doesn't? Then we need to move the stop value further back:

var text = "_Papa"
result = [];
for (x = 1; x < myName.length + 1; x++){
    result.push(text[x])
}

see? we want to skip the first character, so we need to manipulate the stop value. Hopefully do this simplified examples help, but instead of 1 we use i in our search program, because we don't know what index our name will be at

Here are some more extensive explanations i wrote a while ago:

Hope they can help you :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! That's very helpful

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.