SCT and Other Strangeness

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/pyglatin/exercises/move-it-on-back?action=lesson_resume

For some reason, on 9/11 in the PygLatin exercise the raw_input defaults to the letters “SCT” in the console automatically. After that the console loads for a bit (spinning circle down at the bottom) then fails. I’m not really sure what I am missing here.

Based on the hints in this section I would expect the code to store the value for the variables set, including the new_word variable that has the combination of the previous strings instead of failing. I would also expect the code to continue to print the original raw input to the console.

pyg = 'ay'
original = raw_input('Enter a word:')
if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    word = original.lower()
    first = word[0]
    new_word = word + first + pyg
    print original
else:
    print 'empty'

Hello @atlanticeyes,

It appears that there’s a bug with the raw_input() function. You can try assigning original to a string rather than raw_input() and see what happens. Let me know if this works. :slight_smile:

I had been experiencing that issue as well, it seems to have resolved itself just a moment ago without changing anything on my end.

@intermediategamer,

I replaced raw_input() with the string ‘Henlo’ and the code executed just fine! I’m very new to this, so was it something about the way I used raw_input() that caused the bug, or is it just a known issue with this module?

Thanks! :smiley:

No, you wrote your code just fine :+1: The python courses are acting up, especially with the raw_input() function when ran in the interpreter. Codecademy is working on the issue.
I’m glad you passed the lesson. :slight_smile:

The Python course has recently been moved to a new environment, this affected progress and caused a lot of unexpected bugs to pop up.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.