Scope issue (?) forEach() function in named export

In the exercise about named exports (link at bottom) we export some variables from airplane.js to missionControl.js and then use a function inside a forEach() in missionControl.js to log a statement to the console.

It seems that in airplane.js there is different scoping of these variables compared the the same variable in missionControl.js even though they have been imported.

I will post the code below. Could someone please help me understand why in airplane.js, the exported file, requiredStaff on its own will access this value within the let flightRequirements variable. But in missionControl.js we need to use flightRequirements.requiredSpeedRange to access requiredSpeedRange within the same let flightRequirements variable?

Thank you.

Airplane.js code:

export let flightRequirements = {
    requiredStaff: 4,
    requiredSpeedRange: 700
  };

export function meetsStaffRequirements(availableStaff, requiredStaff) {
    if (availableStaff.length >= requiredStaff) {
      return true;
    } else {
      return false;
    }
  };

missonControl.js code:

function displaySpeedRangeStatus() {
  availableAirplanes.forEach(function(element) {console.log(element.name + 'meets speed range requirements: ' + meetsSpeedRangeRequirements(element.maxSpeed, element.minSpeed, flightRequirements.requiredSpeedRange));
  });
};

Exercise:
https://www.codecademy.com/paths/web-development/tracks/webdev-intermediate-javascript/modules/intermediate-javascript-modules/lessons/modules/exercises/import-named-imports

If by "requiredStaff on its own" you’re referring to requiredStaff used in the function meetsStaffRequirements(), then the naming is causing some confusion. The requiredStaff in there is the name of the function parameter, so it isn’t tied to the requiredStaff property of the flightRequirements object.

The function could be re-written as this, and it would function exactly the same:

export function meetsStaffRequirements(staffArray, minimumStaff) {
    if (staffArray.length >= minimumStaff) {
      return true;
    } else {
      return false;
    }
  };

If that isn’t what you were referring to or if I’m misunderstanding the question, please let me know.

Yeah i don’t think I explained properly what I am confused with.

The variable flightRequirements at the top of the first block of code has two key/value pairs. requiredStaff and requiredSpeedRange.

In the function in the first block of code meetsStaffRequirements(), it accesses the requiredStaff value by just writing requiredStaff on its own.
In the second code block function displaySpeedRangeStatus() however, to access requiredSpeedRange we need to use flightRequirements.requiredSpeedRange.

I don’t understand why in one function we can access it with just the name of the key/value pair and in the other we need to use the variable name first to gain access. It’s the same variable yet requires two different types of syntax to get in.

Does that make sense?

(top code block is the original file which is then exported with a named export to the second code block’s file.)

That’s the function that I re-wrote to show that it isn’t accessing the value of requiredStaff from your flightRequirements object. Notice I changed the name of the parameter so it was clearer that it wasn’t the requiredStaff you were thinking of. It was just the parameter name that was the same name as that property, so it was causing confusion. In the code I posted, I renamed it to minimumStaff and it would have no impact on the return value. It’s only evaluating the values were sent to the function as arguments, that function doesn’t read from the flightRequirements object at all.