so i am a new programmer (2 months in), i ve done the python course and the Ruby course so far and read a couple of books and have the basic concepts of programming down from these courses, but on the RoR course the explanations don’t seem to be there so i am lost. step 2 ex 3 on the saving data part i have ground to a halt. As mentioned in a previous post by someone else I feel as if i am simply following intructions with no explanations so i don’t understand what i am doing on each step or why, for example.
step 2. In the routes file, create a route that maps the URL /messages to the Messages controller’s index action.
- what is the routes file?
- what is the purpose of the routes file?
- where is the routes file?
- how do i create a route?
- how do i know if the route that i created maps the URL /messages to the Messages controller’s index action?
- what do i type in order to do this?
- what does URL/messages mean? and what is its purpose?
- what is the Messages controller’s index action?
- what does the Messages controllers index action do?
- what is the purpose of the Messages controllers index action?
This is just a list of questions off the top of my head, it seems that the exercise assumes that i know the answers to these. now maybe they have been presented in previous exercises, but since i didnt understand exactly what i was doing and just following instructions I dont rememeber the relevant exercises/examples to refer to. could someone clarify these questions for me ? probably they seem stupid questions if you understand RoR but for now I am completely lost on this course. should i start the course over again perhaps. what is the best way for me to proceed? external resources, doing another codecademy course e.g. html or other to help give me better understanding of concepts? I want to understand RoR as fast as possible. thanks in advance for your help.