Running a computer program

Does run mean to process the instructions in a computer program by a computer Am I right yes or no. Please do not use the words execute or run when explaining the meaning of run. Another word for run would be helpful.

1 Like

The term run is used almost synonymously. A related meaning of both "to run " and "to execute " refers to the specific action of a user starting (or launching or invoking) a program , as in “Please run the application.”

Sorry I used it, but I blame Wikipedia. This should be clear enough though. Without the words though, I’ll try to explain it.

It is the action of a user starting the program.

I hope this helps =)

Could you explain how a computer program can start?

1 Like

Load the program into memory and set the cpu’s reading location to where the program’s start location is

1 Like

What do you mean by location? Do you mean positions in computer memory Am I right yes or no.

1 Like

The computer reads the code as its own language, and outputs the output as what it read.

I hope this helps =)

Is the word running a metaphor? Am I right yes or no.

Yes and no.

Run is an action that happen that makes something move, or be active.

But it physically can’t move like that per say.

I hope this helps =)

How can a user actually start a computer program?

By opening it. When the button is clicked, the software starts up for it giving the code. The computer already has the code, and knows what to do from there.