Review Functions: A soloution

Replace this line with your code.

Hi,
Please post you code, error message, and link to the exercise for us to help you. Thanks!

someone help. I wrote this code and the output is as shown below,what is the problem?
def shut_down(s):
if shut_down(s==yes):
return ("shutting down")
elif shut_down(s==no):
return ("shut_down aborted")
else
return "sorry"

File "python", line 3
return ("shutting down")
^
IndentationError: expected an indented block

Hi,

Pay close attention to how if elif statements are formatted in Python. This is incorrect:

It simply should be:

if s=="yes":

And:

elif s=="no":

I'm assuming you were trying to verify that the processes were for the shut_down function, but that is unnecessary as it should be under the function definition if you indented right.

I am assuming you didn't indent everything correctly, becuase of the error message, but I can't help you with that until you format your code. Use the button in the text box to do that. Also your else statement needs a colon after it.

Hi, Please help! My code below:
def shut_down(s):
return s
if s == "yes":
return "Shutting down"
elif s == "no":
return "Shutdown aborted"
else:
return "Sorry"

gives error provided below:
File "python", line 4
SyntaxError: 'return' outside function

def shut_down(s):
return shut_down
if "yes":
shut_down("Shutting down")

elif "no":
shut_down("Shutdown aborted")

else:
shut_down("Sorry")

This worked

In hints we have: "Ensure your function outputs appear exactly as shown!" What does it mean by that? Is your solution such?

Hi,

The line above is unnecessary and can be removed. That's the job of the if, elif statements. :slight_smile: As for the rest, make sure you have correct indents. Your code should look like this if it is indented correctly:

def shut_down(s):
    if s == "yes":
        return "Shutting down"
    elif s == "no":
        return "Shutdown aborted"
    else:
        return "Sorry"

The answer does not teach us everything. Please refrain from just posting answering without any explanation to the problem as that doesn't help the other users. Thank you.

this returns yes and im not sure why. please assist

def shut_down(s):
return s
if s == "yes":
return s == "Shutting down"
elif s == "no":
return "shutdown aborted"
else:
return 'sorry'

The second line (return s) is making it so that when it hits the the if statement it's immediately saying s == yes instead of showing the conditon.It is returning the s argument and therefore it is equaling yes. If you do remove the (return s) you will find that it runs through the code and it'll work fine. I am a novice at this and i am not sure my explanation is the best. However, i had this problem and the fix to it was removing the second line of code. Hope this helps in some way.

Hi,

Not sure why you have the first return statement like this:

When the other two are written correctly. Can you explain your thinking behind writing it like this?

Thank you!! I was typing
if s("yes"):
return "Shutting down"
any reason why that didn't work?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.