Return statements in blocks (19/19)

Hi,

I was trying to sort the array of fruit names in reverse alphabetical order by using if/elsif/else statements in a block rather than the <=> operator in a block. I am aware that in the block that I am passing to the .sort! method, I need to compare two elements and return a -1, 0, or 1 (first > second, first = second, first < second, respectively in this problem). This was my initial code that gave me errors:

fruits = ["orange", "apple", "banana", "pear", "grapes"]

fruits.sort! do |firstFruit, secondFruit|
    if firstFruit ==  secondFruit
        return 0
    elsif firstFruit >  secondFruit
        return -1
    else
        return 1
    end
end

However, I was tinkering around with my code and when I changed it to the following, everything worked as it should:

fruits = ["orange", "apple", "banana", "pear", "grapes"]`

fruits.sort! do |firstFruit, secondFruit|
    if firstFruit ==  secondFruit
    elsif firstFruit >  secondFruit
    else
    end
end

The only thing I did differently was omitting the return statements in the if/elsif/else branch. So my question is this: why did the return statements cause this program to not work?

This is kind of a guess because I don't know the inner workings of how the sort! method works, but here goes:

When you explicitly return a value, it breaks out of the method as soon as it hits a true case. If firstFruit == secondFruit, the block will return 0 and the rest of the block won't be run.

Implicit returns (where 0, -1, or 1 are getting returned without explicitly using a return statement) will let Ruby run over the whole block, even after the first true condition is met.

Explicit returns should be fine if sort! worked like a regular loop, but my guess is that it's not working quite like a normal loop and breaking out of the conditions early is what's causing errors.

In Ruby, the last statement is always the return statement, and in this case there is only one statement which should be the return statement anyway, so I think the only reason why the two versions would behave differently is due to the test codes written by the developers.

Thank you @katlandreth and @laushinka for your replies. Yes, it seems that I called an explicit return when an implicit return should be used, and that seems to have caused problems for my first snippet of code.