Return - Help with understanding

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-javascript/lessons/functions/exercises/return?action=lesson_resume

My code isn't behaving incorrectly. I just need an explanation for how and why this works. How does the computer know how many pizzas I ordered when the two functions aren't directly related to each other?

Thanks in advance!

var orderCount = 0;

function takeOrder(topping, crustType){
  console.log('Order: '+ crustType +' crust pizza that is topped with ' + topping);
  orderCount = orderCount + 1;
}

function getSubTotal(itemCount){
  return itemCount * 7.5;
}

takeOrder('chicken', 'stuffed');
takeOrder('bacon', 'grilled cheese');
takeOrder('spinach', 'thin');

console.log(getSubTotal(orderCount));

Looking through, I think this answers your question...

Your first function will in addition to logging what's being ordered, will add 1 to the orderCount variable. So, when you write the getSubTotal function with itemCount as the parameter, it should return itemCount*7.5. So...

When you call console.log(getSubTotal(orderCount)); you are running the function getSubTotal and TAKING the variable orderCount as the parameter. So whatever takeOrder makes orderCount, is what the getSubTotal uses for itemCount.

A little bit of a confusing explanation, so here's the simplified explanation:

takeOrder changes orderCount and getSubTotal takes orderCount as a parameter, so the actions taken by takeOrder on orderCount affect the result of getSubTotal.

Hope this helps, feel free to respond if you need it cleared up any further.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.