Resume using HTML

Hello, im currently teaching myself how to code and I tried to write a resume using the HTML language but i m not sure if im structuring the code correctly. Any feed back or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile

!DOCTYPE html>

<title>Jacob Aric Rivera Resume</title>

<body>>

<h1<>Jacob Aric Rivera</h1>

<h2>Alice, Tx 78332</h2>

<h3>jacobaricrivera@icloud.com</h3>

<h4>(xxx) xxx-xxxx</h4>

<aticle>

<p>Trained HVAC technician of six years with strong communication skills and excellent problem solving abilities seeking a junior level Front End web devolpment position.

</p>

</article>

</body>

<body>

<h1><em>Work Experience</em></h1>

<h1>Service technician/Installation</h1>

<article>

<p><em>Lady Lex Musuem on The Bay - Corpus Christi, TX</em></p>

<p><em>August 2018 to present</em></p>

<p><pre>    I am currently the lead service/install technician aboard the USS Lexington. I currently manage and maintain over 60 5-ton split system forced air conditioning units.

</pre></p>

</article>

<h1>Installation Helper</h1>

<p><em>Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning - Rockport, Tx</em></p>

<p><em>January 2017 to August 2018</em></p>

<p><pre>    As a installers helper my duties were to assist the lead technician with recovering the freon from the system and properly disconnect the unit.

</pre></p>

<h1>Valve Mechanic</h1>

<p><em>Bestway Oilfield Services - Alice, TX</em></p>

<p><em>January 2014 to January 2015</em></p>

<p><pre>    Break down and inspect frac valves manual and hydraulic. Pressure wash valves and inspect parts as needed and make quality control observation of parts. Re-assemble valves

and pressure test to check for any leaks or failure of equipment.

<h1>Slab Tech</h1>

<p><em>Knight Oil Tools - Alice, Tx</em></p>

<p><em>January 2010 to 2014</em></p>

<p><pre>   Steam clean BOP (Blow out preventer) Type U' and UM', open the tool and check for any inside scarring or damages, replace lip seals. Steam clean inside as well, pressure test.

Hydril maintenance remove piston and element check inside hydril for any scarring or damage of tool. Replace parts as need and inspect for further maintenance. After all that I would nipple up and get

ready for a function and hydrostatic pressure test.

<h1>Education</h1>

<p><em>Diploma in Heating and Refrigeration</em></p>

<p><em>South Texas Vo-Tech - Corpus Christi, TX</em></p>

<p><em>January 2015 to 2016</em></p>

<p><em>High School Diploma</em></p>

<p><em>Alich High School - Alice, TX</em></p>

<p><em>2006 - 2010</em></p>

</body>
1 Like

It looks good for the most part. Some things will break the site thought. You need a < or the <DOCTYPE HTML>, having 2 > for the body tag and first h1 tags. And you need a head tag and that’s where the title tag goes. This is not required but it is heavily preferred to only have 1 h1 tag and use multiple h2, h3, etc tags. And you cant have multiple bode tags just 1 opening and 1 closing.

Just a typo here.

The rest looks good. And nice use of the <pre> tag and semantic html.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback! Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

First off, be sure you have a very clear picture of what an acceptable resumé looks like. Note the rigid outline. Truth is, this form of document is a perfect piece to learn HTML, both structure and purpose.

Second, have you sketched out the same rigid outline on paper so that you have something to mark up that serves the above purpose?

Third, have you sketched out a markup outline in which to embed your content?

The biggest hint here is the learn part. Whatever you do, don’t present your resumé before having it vetted by experienced users. Treat this as a learning experience from this moment forward, and study HTML seriously, not as something that is insignificant in the broader picture.

Once you have a well-formed document that presents adequately even without styling (as we used to do with typewriters) then, and only then, will you have something that deserves to me marked up for the web. Don’t start without that one crucial ingredient or you will only embarrass yourself.

1 Like

This only needs one closing bracket but looks good :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, I do have a physical rough draft and a complete resume already on hand. Nevertheless appreciate the constructive criticism. I am now done with an adequate resume that is completely finished.

1 Like

Thank you! I caught that closing bracket a little later haha! :slight_smile:

<title>Jacob Aric Rivera Resume</title>

<body>

<h1><strong>Jacob Aric Rivera</strong></h1>

<h2>Alice, Tx 78332</h2>

<h3>jacobaricrivera@icloud.com</h3>

<h4>(xxx) xxx-xxxx</h4>

<article>

<p>Trained HVAC technician of six years with strong communication skills and excellent problem solving abilities seeking a junior level Front End web devolpment position.

</p>

</article>

<h1><em>Work Experience</em></h1>

<h2>Service technician/Installation</h2>

<article>

<p><em>Lady Lex Musuem on The Bay - Corpus Christi, TX</em></p>

<p><em>August 2018 to present</em></p>

<p><pre>    I am currently the lead service/install technician aboard the USS Lexington. I currently manage and maintain over 60 5-ton split system forced air conditioning units.

</pre></p>

</article>

<h3><font size="+2">Installation Helper</font></h3>

<p><em>Aire Serv Heating & Air Conditioning - Rockport, Tx</em></p>

<p><em>January 2017 to August 2018</em></p>

<p><pre>    As a installers helper my duties were to assist the lead technician with recovering the freon from the system and properly disconnect the unit.

</pre></p>

<h4><font size="+2">Valve Mechanic</font></h4>

<p><em>Bestway Oilfield Services - Alice, TX</em></p>

<p><em>January 2014 to January 2015</em></p>

<p><pre>    Break down and inspect frac valves manual and hydraulic. Pressure wash valves and inspect parts as needed and make quality control observation of parts. Re-assemble valves

and pressure test to check for any leaks or failure of equipment.

<h5><font size="+2">Slab Tech</font></h5>

<p><em>Knight Oil Tools - Alice, Tx</em></p>

<p><em>January 2010 to 2014</em></p>

<p><pre>   Steam clean BOP (Blow out preventer) Type U' and UM', open the tool and check for any inside scarring or damages, replace lip seals. Steam clean inside as well, pressure test.

Hydril maintenance remove piston and element check inside hydril for any scarring or damage of tool. Replace parts as need and inspect for further maintenance. After all that I would nipple up and get

ready for a function and hydrostatic pressure test.

<h6><font size="+2">Education</font></h6>

<p><em>Diploma in Heating and Refrigeration</em></p>

<p><em>South Texas Vo-Tech - Corpus Christi, TX</em></p>

<p><em>January 2015 to 2016</em></p>

<p><em>High School Diploma</em></p>

<p><em>Alich High School - Alice, TX</em></p>

<p><em>2006 - 2010</em></p>

<article>

<p><strong><font size="+2">Skills</font></font></strong></p>

<ul>

<li>HVAC (5 years)</li>

<li>Computer Software (5 years)</li>

<li>Customer Service (8 years)</li>

<li>Sales (9 years)</li>

<li>Electrical Experience (5 years)</li>

<li>Service Technician (5 years)</li>

<li>Trouble Shooting</li>

<li>Computer Proficiency</li>

<li>Critical thinking and problem solving</li>

</ul>

<p><strong><font size="+2">Certificates</font></strong></p>

<ul>

<li>EPA Technician Type II</li>

<li>Forklift Operator</li>

<li>Scissor lift operator</li>

<li>JLG Operator</li>

</ul>

</article>

<article>

<p><strong><font size="+2">Additional Information</font></strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Team Leadership</li>

<li>Diagnosing Air Conditioning system problems</li>

<li>Repairing Air Conditioning systems</li>

<li>Charging Air Conditioning systems with refrgerant</li>

<li>Wiring Air Conditioning systems</li>

<li>Recovery of refrgerant</li>

<li>Pulling a vacuum on Air Conditioning systems</li>

<li>Soldering and Brazing techniques</li>

<li>Swaging Techniques</li>

<li>Quality Control inspector</li>

<li>Sizing A/C and heating equipment</li>

<li>Refrigerant leak detection methods</li>

<li>Recognition of control components</li>

<li>Troubleshooting basic controls</li>

<li>Motor troubleshooting</li>

<li>Reading of pictorial and line diagrams</li>

<li>Maintenance of electromechanical controls</li>

<li>Reapair and installation of fiberglass duct</li>

<li>Large forklift operator</li>

<li>Scissor lift operator</li>

</ul>

</article>

</body>

Completed resume

A search engine would flag this immediately. Since when is H1 not enough emphasis?

I’m not sure when “search engine” decided to make a certain date to “flag this”. Explain to me why and educate me please. That is what I’m here for. As you can tell I’m transitioning from a completely different career.

Should I educate you on the meaning of, ‘importance’? It is a fundamental of proper outlining.

Yea I don’t mind a different perspective. I went through the fundamentals of html and I don’t recall seeing anything that said I can’t bold a header. If I mis read or mis interpreted anything please let me know.

HTML should not be used for visual effect. It is a mistake to use STRONG or EM for that purpose. Remove that emphasis and review the document for structure and heading hierarchy. That should bring you more into the outline mentality.

What is the principal aim of this document? That will be the most significant descriptor, the title, and in situ, the H1 heading.

The significant sections of the document will have H2 headings, and their sub-sections, H3, and so forth.

It is headings that provide a map of the document for search engines. Give them a good outline and they will give you a good placement in the search index. If you don’t want your document to seen, or rather, found, then don’t put it on the web. Use a word processor and print it.

By the same token, if you don’t want your domain to fall to the supplemental index, don’t publish stuff that search engines frown upon. Take the web for granted at one’s own peril. It is not something to be frivolous about or trifled with, That should be the first lesson.

1 Like

So this document is not for show or to be published with a domain. Its projected aim was to see if I’m putting together something within the correct hierarchy and to also get a better understanding from my mistakes.

1 Like

Learn how to use this tool at every stage of your page development. Know that your markup is well-formed. They also have a CSS validator, and maybe even a JS validator (?).

Bottom line, learning how to check our own work is something that comes at the beginning, not the end. We never stop checking our work. Ever.

Bookmark this page…

HTML elements reference - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

1 Like