Reset progress without knowing because there was no clear warning on what exactly would happed

I’ve been working through “Learn Python 3” course and was probably around 30% through. Today I decided to check out the other courses and paths just to see what else there is for when I finish this one.

At some point I went into “Analyze Data with Python” path for a quick look. It started the path, which is not what I wanted. I only wanted to see what it was without actually starting it. Because I didn’t want it showing as if I was working on it, I clicked the reset progress button and confirmed.

Later in the day I was at my home page and noticed that my progress of “Learn Python 3” was way lower than it should. At first I thought that maybe there was a bug or something wrong with the website. Only afterwards did I think that it might have had something to do with having clicked that reset button on that other course.

I went and checked back on “Analyze Data with Python” and saw that indeed there was some shared content. At the moment that I confirmed the reset, I wasn’t aware that there was shared content between these two courses. I didn’t even actually know that that was a thing. It doesn’t even make sense how these same contents are spread throughout different courses and paths.

Yes, I see that in the confirm window it says “This will also affect any courses where you have made progress on the same content!” But at the time I read it quickly and didn’t know what that actually meant, as I was not aware that different courses shared the same content. I hadn’t even read through the content of that “Analyze Data with Python” path since I was there just to take a quick look, which is when it did something (starting the path) which I didn’t want. And which as a result of it doing something that I didn’t want is that I ended up clicking that reset button, which resulted in it doing yet another thing that I didn’t want.

It’s a very bad way to connect different courses like that. The little sentence at the bottom of the reset window is clearly not enough. There should be a clear warning when something will actually be deleted, especially if it’s something not in the current page. It should say clearly exactly which courses will be affected, especially considering how big the consequences are.

Keep in mind that I hadn’t started the “Analyze Data with Python” path, so in my mind there wasn’t anything to delete. At that moment all I thought that would happen was that that particular path wouldn’t show as having been started, nothing more. The content should only be allowed to be deleted from the same course in which it was created.

So what can be done now? Is there a way to recover the progress?

This is very discouraging and actually makes me loose my motivation to continue here. I feel like I lost all my time, considering that I already knew the basic things in Python and only went trough all of those first lessons just for the sake of completeness. So it would really be a waste of time to go through them yet once more.

1 Like

Hey there, welcome to the forums!

I’m sorry that you’ve lost your Python 3 progress, and that this is having a negative impact on your motivation to learn. That’s pretty much the opposite of what we’re going for here!

There’s not a lot that we can do over the forums about this, however if you reach out to the Codecademy Customer Support Team they may be able to assist you with restoring your progress? (I’m not sure if it’s possible, but if anyone would know it’s them!)

Hopefully this is something that can be resolved, and you’ll be coding away again. :slight_smile: The team usually get back to tickets in 2-3 days, though keep in mind that the weekend is coming up! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ugh! I’m sorry that you experienced that. I hope there is something that can be done after you speak with customer support.

1 Like

Customer support can’t help apparently. This is what they’ve told me:

“Unfortunately, we are unable to restore progress once it has been reset. We are always looking for our learners to provide feedback on their experience to help improve the product. I will make sure to get this in front of the appropriate team.”

Is there somewhere I can find all the answers so I can copy and paste them quickly?

I spent many hours already going through all of that work from the beginning, even if I already knew pretty much all of those basic things already, just to have everything neat and organized and to be able to get the certificate of completion.

Unfortunately, no. Unless you wrote notes as you went along or copied your code into a file(?)

I know it’s a pain, but…thinking positively about it—which I understand might be difficult to do at the moment— think of it as another opportunity to further solidify those concepts in your mind. I mean, that wouldn’t be so terrible.

It would be great if there was an “undo” button if one accidentally reset their progress. Hopefully there’s a way to accomplish that in the future.

Solidifying the concepts is what I already was doing by completing those exercises. And it took me a lot of hours to do that. I can’t keep wasting more time on the basics. The real solidification will happen when I start to actually do real things with Python.

Thank you anyway :slight_smile:

It’s not exactly the “skip ahead” button you’re after, but you could skip over the stuff you’re already confident of by using the “Get Solution” button…

It’s the only workaround for this that I can think of. :frowning:

1 Like

Ahh… I’ll try that!

And the “Analyze Data with Python” path is still showing on My Courses page, which is the one thing I was trying to prevent when I clicked that button.

It would make more sense to be able to remove a course/path from a profile then to just delete its contents but leave the course/path there.

1 Like

Yeah… once you’ve taken even the most passing interest in a course, it’s on the page to stay. (You’re not the first person to ask about removing them.)

3 Likes

Yea, I find that annoying as well…

2 Likes